SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Dream Kit Realized

There's likely loads you can do without even taking it under starry skies. Setting up all the software, getting all the components working together - a lot of software packages have a simulation mode, such as Maxim. Fire the camera up make sure they expose, make sure the filter wheels change to the right filters and you have them set up how you want them in the carousel. In fact the only thing you can't get sorted is collecting some real data. It would pay dividends to get these things sorted and little niggles ironed out now. You'll be a lot more familiar with your kit and be able to troubleshoot with more confidence. You've got some world class kit there -  jealous ! moi :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shockingly, the downtown city lights aren't the primary problem. I live in a five story building on the third floor. For me to setup on my roof, which not only is lighted up like Xmas, but it's the flights of stairs that make things hard. To get setup and carry the equipment is a 3hr process that kills my back. I'm not making excuses. I have had eight major back surgeries in the last eight or so years. I went ahead and bought the equipment because I don't work and have no family and LOTS of time. I wanted the winter months to learn about the equipment I bought.... always knowing that I'd be moving in the spring to a location where my back wouldn't be as much an issue.

I REALLY appreciate the photo!!! I'm thrilled to know a dark sky isn't a prerequisite!!! Awesome image!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awsome bit of kit, but i think i would of planned something else to spend 10 k plus on, if i had a bad back and walk all those steps

Hence my moving where it won't be a problem. At 40 to be faced with a future filled with nothing, no work, no nothing, you cling to any passion and time filling pursuit you can find. Astronomy AP was mine. At my new home, next month, I'll not worry about stairs, roofs, or elevators. 10k??! I wish [emoji6]

At 40 to be faced with a future filled with nothing, no work, no nothing, you cling to any passion and time filling pursuit you can find. Astronomy AP was mine.

All sounds a bit bleak! Is there not any kind of work you can do to give you more purpose?

I get depressed if I don't work. I've cut my working hours back so I can take care of my 3 little ones during the day, so I'm just working a few evenings plus the odd weekend at the moment. I must say I do get a bit down in the daytime being stuck inside, even though I'm quite busy looking after the babies. When I get back from working I feel great, I recommend it if you are able to? 

I think its great you've had a dream and made it happen. The sand runs too quickly out of the hourglass and if were not careful we can waste the precious time we do have, by putting up with so so gear. I applaud your decision to buy the best.

If however you find its too much trouble to set up. I run a Takahashi rescue society, where unwanted and unloved Takahashi telescopes can find a good home. Where they will be lovingly cared for and taken out for regular observing sessions, keeping them happy and healthy.

So far I've had no takers on that offer. I wonder why?

Mike :-)

It sounds bleak? It is soooo bleak. I'd give anything to return to work!! Staying home 24/7/365 is something I'd not wish upon my worst enemy!! I do what I can to pass the time and the best of a bad situation. I searched for something difficult and encompassing with a long steep learning curve to keep me occupied, both physically and mentally. I could find no such pursuit and so I settled on astrophotography [emoji6]

Thank you Mike!!! Very well said! That captures my thinking exactly!!! And I think it's awesome that you're running what I'm certain is a not-for-profit service to rescue abused and/or neglected Takahashi hardware!! It warms my heart to know there are people out there who care about these beautiful creatures [emoji6] I'm as perplexed as you are as to why you've had no takers.

I think its great you've had a dream and made it happen. The sand runs too quickly out of the hourglass and if were not careful we can waste the precious time we do have, by putting up with so so gear. I applaud your decision to buy the best.

If however you find its too much trouble to set up. I run a Takahashi rescue society, where unwanted and unloved Takahashi telescopes can find a good home. Where they will be lovingly cared for and taken out for regular observing sessions, keeping them happy and healthy.

So far I've had no takers on that offer. I wonder why?

Mike :-)

Hi Liquid360

Congrats on the gear - should be exciting to learn about it, and begin AP! Will be looking fwd to hearing updates on how you are getting on.

Best of luck with the move & everything,

-Niall

• 2 weeks later...

Is your surname "Abramovich" or "Gates" by any chance? :)

Judging by my gear, one might assume me wealthy, but one would be wrong. Just a minor windfall blown. Now I'm a broke guy with nice kit [emoji6]

Judging by my gear, one might assume me wealthy, but one would be wrong. Just a minor windfall blown. Now I'm a broke guy with nice kit [emoji6]

Nice when you come into a few bucks like that.  Congrats to you.  

When I hopefully get my bonus this year a Mesu 200 will be atop my pier once built :)

Just a thought....

Louise (Thalestris24) images from the windows of her flat in Glasgow, so I'm wondering, do your windows open? If they do it might be worth setting up by one and, if not doing a proper run, at least getting to know the kit in action, sorting out the software, and perhaps getting some data to work on, while waiting for your move to a dark site.

I do indeed! I wouldn't recommend it tbh. It creates lots of frustrating limitations but it lets me image from the comfort and safety of my living room :) It has, however, enabled me to learn a lot and makes the imaging process easier (=lazier!) than having to go outside. The main problem I have is that I only have one window which is big enough and which opens outwards. I've arranged things so that the scope can also point out of another window at about 150 deg. This lets me drift align in azimuth with PHD2 (their drift align tool is excellent!). I'm limited to the bit of sky that passes by the window in the east. So most of the sky, and most of the interesting targets, are out of reach :( Still, I've managed to get quite a few subs this week and now must sit down and process them. Hopefully, I'll be able to get outside at some point this year!

Louise

I hope the moderators will pick up on a spurious Takahashi rehab scheme mentioned by Mike in an earlier post. All Takahashi adoption must be performed by licensed adoption agencies under the direct supervision of...

Yes folks Here I am! 

(Note the official shade of 1953 Health Service Green. Beware of imitations.)

On the more serious business of work, I think bad work is bad, no work is bad and good work is good. In today's world, though, there are more things a person can do from home than ever before.

Olly

Archived