NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

With a solar filter, you won't see anything but the sun.

So, as a word of caution, I wouldn't observe anything close to the sun with the filter removed.

It is possible to observe the moon in the daytime.

Although feasible, anything else is going to suffer as far as detail is concerned because of the light from the sun.

You can't see ANY planets naked eye until twilight. As the sun starts to go below the horizon venus and then jupiter will start to appear very bright.

Although I have often wondered if a Ha filter would let you see through the diffused blue in the atmosphere. Even without trying I could already hypothesize that you'd only be able to observe near the zenith. And even then only when seeing is very good. And you'd need to be in an observatory to block out as much glare from the sun as possible.

~pipnina

As Ben said if you want to view in daylight never go anywhere near the sun, I have not viewed daylight stars myself but using my scope and camera to take flats in the day revealed hundreds of stars.

I believe some people do image Jupiter during the day (early morning before thermals kick in) with very good results sometimes better than full darkness.

Alan

As stated above a solar filter is designed for viewing the Sun rather than things other than the Sun. This will do so by severely reducing the radiation entering your scope, so certainly wouldn't help you see things which are already (relatively) dim.

You can however see the likes of Mars, Venus and Jupiter towards the tail end of 'daylight', depending on how you define it. Generally these will be the first observable 'stars' in the sky by naked eye.

All as above but - almost as a footnote - I was enchanted to see Venus in the East at the maximum of the eclipse.

It added something extra but, of course, it was just another kind of 'twilight'.

I have tracked Jupiter well into the morning almost up to mid day after an all night session. Some brighter objects can be seen during daylight but they get fainter as the sun gets stronger. I've also seen the crescent phase of Venus just after the sun disappeared behind a mountain about an hour before sunset. Pointing needs to be very accurate when finding stuff during daylight. :)

Observing planets during the day (when they are placed right) is very tricky/dangerous and really the realm of well seasoned observers. As others have said, you wont see planets with a solar filter.Ive seen images of Mars that were taken at lunch time on a summers day and you'd think they were taken at night.

Enjoy your solar viewing. It's great to be out during the day when there's a bit of heat beaming down on you and observing the sun.

And ..

it has been known for people to view the Sun (or not as the case may be) with their truss type dobbies (open or enclosed), only to leave their scope for a period of time whilst forgetting that the Sun moves (relative to our point of view) across the sky.

Mistakes are easy to make - for anyone and everyone :)

And ..

it has been known for people to view the Sun (or not as the case may be) with their truss type dobbies (open or enclosed), only to leave their scope for a period of time whilst forgetting that the Sun moves (relative to our point of view) across the sky.

Mistakes are easy to make - for anyone and everyone :)

Took me a couple of reads to see the problem with this.

Cath, Paul - I don't get it. Please explain? (I know I'm leaving myself wide open here!). Do you end up setting fire to things?

Neil.

Yes fire, and any other damage that could be caused by localized energy.

An offset Sun can (and will be) be focused to any point behind a lens or in front of a concave mirror.

As Kim says, it is quite possible to track planets during the day with the help of an accurate goto.

I managed to pick up Jupiter at 2pm, with the help of an 80mm Finder and tracked it in the scope through until 9pm. It's great to watch the contrast gradually improve even though the sky does not appear that much darker.

It is often possibly to spot Venus during the day when it is at greatest elongation from the sun. Always be very careful obviously, but once for in binoculars it is normally possible to pick up naked eye once you know where it is

I've seen Venus in a deep blue sky in the middle of the day with my naked eyes. It's actually surprisingly easy if you apply a bit of technique for locating it.

I knew which bit of the sky to look in and the conditions were perfect. I seem to remember reading that Jupiter can be spotted in full daylight too. Never tried that.

Archived