SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

planetary photos 8" dob.

has anyone successfully taken planetary photos with a skywatcher skyliner 200p? Would be interesting to see what is possible. I know dobsonians are not ideal for astrophotography but im sure someone has had some results worthy of mention!

Absolutely. Check out @cathalferris threads on here.

Yep, my recent pics were taken with a skyliner dob, albeit a 12" not an 8" but the principle is the exact same. If your seeing is better than mine was you should have a better end result.

My pc is currently out of action after a failed bios update, but when I resurrect it I'll upload one of the captures I got,and you'll be able to see exactly what I did and the end result from it.

Once the dob is nicely balanced with the camera and Barlow in place, it should be pretty easy to control the motions. Then make sure the focus is good. I use the 600d in 3x zoom mode as that gives a 1:1 chip pixel to video pixel, making the capture of detail possible without interpolation or aliasing.

Hand guiding is tricky, but definitely possible. Start the recording when the planet is completely visible on the live view, and leave it drift across. As it nears the edge, nudge it back to the other side and leave it drift again, and so on until you have enough video to work with. My exposures were generally short enough they weren't that badly affected by the hand movements, and I got useful data from more of the video than I expected. I've still an awful lot to learn, but I'm getting a pretty pic every now and then..

Typed on a handheld screen.

Hi :)

you can see my examples:

post-32042-0-18310600-1427987036.jpg

post-32042-0-59331900-1427987036.jpg

post-32042-0-84341900-1427987036.jpg

It was taken by a skyliner 200p dob with a simple powershot camera holding from a universal adapter. Then I worked around with registax :D

Cheers

I've seen somewhere that if you attach a string to the top of the ota and the other end to a peg in the grass it helps you track (manually ) the arc of the planet across the sky ... I could be confused though

I've a few in my Gallery taken with a handheld  HTC  Android and a NikonD5000. Nothing special, just capable. The Moon is no problem, its the longer exposures that will cause an issue due to the non-tracking ability of the skyliner and the potential to blur the image.

If you manage lots of clear shots with either device over a period of time, its still possible to 'stack' these images to get a better image?

• 2 weeks later...

This image is from my first attempt last night with a Celestron Neximage 5, it's a composite of 2 images, gain turned down on one to capture banding on Jupiter (Otherwise it's just a white ball)

then gain turned up on the second image to capture the Jovian moons.
JupiterAndMoonsSml.jpg

Hand-guiding can be very frustrating, but I enjoy the challenge!

Download "Star Forming"'s excellent Guide from this post in the Forums, it's excellent!:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/176799-planet-astrophotography-with-a-manual-dobsonian-tutorial/

You also might find this useful:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-201-0-0-1-0.html

Archived