Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5-ii Guide Camera

Ive been using my QHY5-ii for mono imagining - but I understand that I can use it as a guide scope.

Ive read the following:

- now Ive got a usb lead from the cam to the laptop - but I presume Ill need a lead from the laptop to the mount? Im not sure which leads to use and where

PHD Guiding

1.Run PHD Guiding software.
2.In Menu->Mount please select the On-Camera
3.Click the camera button. Select "ASCOM(Later) Camera"  The ASCOM camera chooser window will appear. Select "CMOS QHY5LII Camera" in the list. Click the Properties button. Make sure it is in 8bit mode (12bit unchecked) 
4.Click the telescope button. It will say "Mount connected"
5.Click the third button.It will begin to loop preview.Adjust the exposure time and adjust the focus and find a star . Use mouse to select it. And click the "PHD" button. PHD guide software will begin to calibration and guide.

Another option would be to connect an ST4 cable from camera to mount direct. Just select the camera in PHD and skip the ASCOM part. Works for me.

Would I still need to connect usb from camera to laptop?

So I connect the usb from the camera to the laptop and the st4 from the camera to the mount?

yep hit the take darks button follow the on screen instructions then hit the loop button select a star then it will start guiding you can bring a graph up to see whats happening

yep hit the take darks button follow the on screen instructions then hit the loop button select a star then it will start guiding you can bring a graph up to see whats happening

kill me - why does everything re astro photo need a PHD in Physics :)

is it just me who finds the name PHD - 'Push Here Dummy' annoying, since it is usually anything but as simple as that.

there's another way of connecting your set-up as well of course, laptop to camera via USB, and laptop to mount via USB-USB/RS232 converter-handset socket.  I use this method. 

You can dispense with the ST-4 cable if you go the EQMOD/pulse-guiding route, but then of course, you will need an EQMOD cable.

PHD 2 has plenty of instructions to get it up and running. Definitely take a set of Darks using PHD 2 and use that dark library when you are guiding. You can also build a Hot Pixel library using PHD 2. PHD 2 allows you to save I have done both, but use the dark library when I am guiding. I use an old QHY 5 on an OAG and find it works very well.

One fundamental thing you have not mentioned, is that the guide camera need to be put in a scope of some sort, it can't be used to guide on its own.......you have not mentioned a second scope in all this.....

:)

AB

Sorry - ive ordered the 50mm guide scope :)

One fundamental thing you have not mentioned, is that the guide camera need to be put in a scope of some sort, it can't be used to guide on its own.......you have not mentioned a second scope in all this.....

:)

AB

...or an OAG

I use the USB cable from the camera to the laptop.

The ST4 cable is from the camera to the autoguide port on the mount.

Use PHD guiding sw to guide. 

That's all I do!

There are tutorials out there and lots of help on here if things don't work. Take screenshots and let us know. Some tutorials here:

http://www.stark-labs.com/help/nebulositytutorials/tutorials.html

Alexxx

Now Im lost :) how do darks help guiding? :/

They stop you latching onto a hot pixel rather than a star.

Peter

yes, do take darks.  PHD2 handles them quite intelligently nowadays, and only takes 10 mins or so to run the routine once, under the dark menu.

Nothing worse than trying to guide (or even drift-align !) on a hot pixel, and I've done it many times more than I'd care to admit.

Archived