Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Huge thanks to the Dob Mob; you are true gents

Stu

Glad we got your Dob up n running proper Stu, and thank you for letting me have a look through it after mine Iced up. :)

No problem at all Steve, it was great to observe with you and Mike, I would not have thought to look at the Crescent nebula if I'd been on my own so would have missed a big treat! Thanks!

I was actually quite worried about being to solve the SIPS issue, I thought there was a bigger problem so it was a real relief to get it sorted. Great to have sharp stars to the edge of the 21e!! [emoji3]

Interesting to compare different eyepiece/filter/scope combinations too.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I was there as my 16 is feeling a bit neglected at the moment. I love the line up of the big dobs and the night shot of them under the stars is pretty cool and sums up what a star party shoukd be like.

Its interesting to see how many bigger dobs are starting to make an appearance and with the views they give they may even bring folks back from the dark side !

And as for galloway ..... sounds like an interesting idea....

Cheers

Your second paragraph is s very valid point. From what I've seen, once you get to 16" under a darkish sky, objects start to show real detail, even relatively faint galaxies. Enough to keep my interest for a long time anyway.

Good to be able to show new starters without them needing to be black belts in averted imagination [emoji12][emoji6]

I agree, there's nothing like a big dob under dark skies and at 16 inches the details does begin to show and with 20inches giving a 50% additional surface area then things really start to show themselves.

As for primaries dewing and freezing I tend to keep a small 12v hairdryer handy which has saved a few sessions for me, even at kielder when I fell asleep and woke up to a frosty scope ..... note to self ..... always put dew cap back on when it clouds over and I take a nap !

Cheers

Good heavens, I can't keep up any more! My dob was the next Christmas and Birthday presents for the next five years (two have passed). Everyone seems to have aperture in excess of 18" !!

If this is the way its going, in two years' time, 30" will be the new 12"... 

Archived