NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great Galaxy night!

jetstream

Finally my sky has turned around from above avg seeing to fantastic dark and transparent skies. 21.7 SQM and excellent, excellent transparency.

Needless to say I was like a kid in the candy store.... :grin:  no set plan except to cherry pick the galaxy clusters in UMA, Coma, Virgo and Leo. A very satisfying set of triplets made a great night superb- the Leo Triplet was better than I have ever seen it and the nice triplet in Leo's triangle - NGC's 3681, 3684 and 3686 gave themselves up easily.

Markarians chain was spectacular and a couple of new faint ones were seen, I'll have to figure out which ones, this is one of the best galaxy views in the sky IMHO...

I didn't draw stars to identify the galaxies or anything like that, I just cluster cruised - a rough count, including the 15 seen in Marks Chain, would be 60 or so... even a few more maybe as UMA was being very kind tonight :smiley:

I couldn't pass up some clusters under these conditions and Auriga never disappoints, with M35 becoming a favorite target- I love those dark lanes cutting through the gleaming diamonds! The Monkey Head and the Rosette nebs were amazing too, I just couldn't pass them up either... and... and...

What a gift tonight was!!

Galaxy observing rules. 

When you're at a dark site and it's truly transparent it just all comes together. Nights like that stay in your memory for a very long time. 

You find you're no longer fiddling with eyepieces you're just observing. Wonderful. :)

Great stuff, Gerry. Galaxy season is truely upon us and hunting them out is a fascinating and humbling experience. I wanted to nip out last night but was too shattered after work (didn't get home till midnight). Next time I'm out I will try to view Markarian's chain. I'm sure I've never seen it - nor heard of it - so it'll be great to see what can be done :smiley: .

Thank you for a lovely report :grin:

Great report Gerry :smiley:

I overlooked Markarian's chain when I had my big galaxy hunt a couple of weeks back. Sounds like I'd have topped 70 if I'd visited it. One for the next such occasion.

That is the kind of sky each of us would relish to be underneath Gerry, acts as a reminder and positive account that steps into the next phase of the astronomy seasons. 

Noted those Leo triangle galaxies that is NGC 3681, 3684, 3686 for when I hope to find myself under a more favourable UK sky.

Archived