Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best thing I've done for my Dobsonian

Love my scope but I was finding bending over it for more than an hour was getting painful (I'm 6' tall).

This has made my viewing far more pleasant. I was lucky enough to find a table just the right height thrown out outside someones house.

Using a hole-saw attachment for my drill I drilled 3 holes for the feet on the telescope base and one central hole for the pivot-bolt.

A spray with a can of white enamel (Table was originally brown) and some white rubber feet finished it.

The eyepiece on the scope is now at eye-level when standing upright, which is saving me a sore back.

I can now spend hours viewing with no discomfort.

Next up I want to put a drawer in the table for eyepieces, filters, camera, Etc.

post-37142-0-64535300-1426565235_thumb.j

post-37142-0-36880300-1426565318.jpg

I thought most folk were sitting at their telescopes? You should feel more comfortable, and be steadier at the eyepiece when seated.

I'm 5' 8" and use an adjustable drum throne now but used to use a comfortable high backed dining chair.

The high backed chair gave more support when just observing with binoculars, I could also easily fall asleep on that chair, so made sure the strap was around the neck, saved dropping the binoculars.

Good use of an old table if some height is still required. Many folk have used the Sankey type plastic water butt stand to give some height to their scopes, but you should be steadier and more comfortable for longer periods when seated!

Nice modification and makes sense - like the idea of a drawer. Personally I use a variable height seat but the best mod I've done to my Dob is to get a triple mount thingy to put a red dot finder with a right angle finder scope.

Read the comments regarding sitting, drum throne sounds like a good idea (can't believe I didn't think of that, I used to work as a drum-tech on tours), although I actually like to stand, mainly because I spend a lot of my working day sitting at a computer or driving.

How would this work in terms of vibration? Might be concern in terms of wind to.  An adjustable observers chair is my own preferred option, plenty of standing between actual observing periods.

You could always get a bigger scope!!

Damn, why didn't I think of that? Getting slow in my old age.

Funny thing is, I have my eyes open for a 2nd-hand 12" Dobs, and if I get one the table will be too high for it.

How would this work in terms of vibration? Might be concern in terms of wind to.  An adjustable observers chair is my own preferred option, plenty of standing between actual observing periods.

Vibration is practically none, rubber feet I fitted soak it up well.

Archived