Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Live - what do we really want

gajjer

I see it's time for stargazing live again.

I should be looking forward to it - but I'm not. I know it's going to be cloudy, and if previous years are anything to go by - it will miss the mark.

But then, it's not aimed at me is it. It's supposed to be about getting people interested. But does it?

We all know that you can't pick three nights, months ahead of an event and expect it to be good viewing. Why don't they?

Is it beyond somebody's capability to film on some good nights? Why the obsession with 'live'? It's not going away.

They show some cracking pictures but again we know that is not what you will see through a telescope a beginner can afford.

Any reference to equipment seems to be very superficial. But wont a beginner want to know - what will I be able to see and how much will it cost?

Ok. That is my pretty negative assessment of what to expect. But what would you like to see?

Just asking.

cheers

gaj

Think this is the fourth. I liked the first, it seemed to cater of all levels in astronomy. The second was reasonable, but I watched bits of the third, decided they were not worth it and went channel hopping every night it was on.

What worries me about this one is you will be told all about what an eclipse is for 3 days solid, when in reality 3 minutes will do it. It is normally an evening/night program however an eclipse at 8:23am is going to upset that idea/format.

Not 100% sure of Dara O'briain in it, I know he studied physics but I suspect the comedian and presenter aspects come over too much and mask the physics. Someone trying to get a joke, punch line, quib or bit of humour in at every other sentence gets too much.

Well I still enjoy it, though admittedly I found the last one more difficult to keep interest in. But anything to do with Astronomy and science on at prime time would get my thumbs up. I guess it's an almost impossible task to make a show that will cater for everyone from Kids with a slight interest to hardcore astro buffs, so it has to find its own balance and not everyone will be happy (apart from FLO maybe with a surge in telescope sales!)

As for the live thing, yeah the weather is usually dreadful, but it gives a true impression of British stargazing :grin: I think if they changed out most of that for pre-recorded stuff the show would loose a lot of appeal, the live thing over 3 nights makes it more interactive I feel,  where if it is a good night they can show you what you can see out your back door right that second, and if the weather is bad I seem to remember Mark answering some emailed in questions if I am correct??

I will watch it regardless, it's 3 nights a year I actually have an interest in what the BBC shows now!

It was enough to give me the final push to go and get a telescope. Interesting debate about pre-recorded v live. I suppose going live shows the hobby as it is and doesn't raise false expectations, at least they are still able to fill a program with stuff that I find of interest.

I remember an episode where they showed a planisphere, I'd never heard of one before so Amazon got an order very shortly afterwards!

As far as getting people interested I thought this program always had a big after effect on sales of scopes? Perhaps someone from FLO can comment... ;). However, I feel where it does miss the mark is actually giving people sufficent information about equipment. I've enjoyed all the previous year's series so far and don't think that the inevitable weather has ever detracted from the program itself.

Can't see that the formst will change much it's on each night as usual with one extra program for the eclipse itself. Agree though that i hope they don't bang on too much about the eclipse during the 3 days... There's only so much that can be said.

It was enough to give me the final push to go and get a telescope. Interesting debate about pre-recorded v live. I suppose going live shows the hobby as it is and doesn't raise false expectations, at least they are still able to fill a program with stuff that I find of interest.

I remember an episode where they showed a planisphere, I'd never heard of one before so Amazon got an order very shortly afterwards!

Well I guess that is one positive. What got me going was the gadget show and a Celestron Nextstar 4SE.

Ronin.

I know what you mean about Dara. I like the guy but it's like Brian Cox on the Infinite Monkey cage. I just wish they would have their little bit of fun a the beginning - tell us something good - then by all means finish with a bit of a laugh.

But there has to be a good juicy bit in the middle. Not messing about all the way through.

cheers

gaj

I think it is really very good.  I like the relaxed way it is presented and they really seem genuinely interested in what the are talking about.  I will certainly be watching, not like I am going to be getting outside with the cloud cover we are going to be having Wednesday to Friday  :rolleyes:

I think a much more in-depth look at the different types of telescope setup would be far more interesting than an astrophysics lesson or speculation about what it might be like on a planet on the other side of the galaxy, practical things that we want to know such as dew prevention, good combinations of mount and scope for different uses; they may have touched on these in the past but these sections were just not long enough or thorough enough in my opinion.

Some good points made in all of the posts.

I am generally positive about the show. It certainly reinvigorated my interest in the stars and lead me to buying my first telescope.

The show clearly has to cater for all ages and knowledge levels so we are never going to see drift alignment demonstrations (thankfully :grin: ). You Tube is a good resource for such things.
Hopefully the Eclipse won't dominate the show too much as whilst it is an amazing event it is personally less interesting to me than the regular astronomy topics.
Similar to the aurora last year, again it was good but even with the sophisticated cameras you can feel a bit left out as clearly you have to be there to full appreciate it. Which ironically maybe the eclipse event can help overcome as it will be possible to appreciate it, weather permitting of course.

Anyway I’ll definitely watch it and as someone else mentioned at least there will be something on the BBC which I find of interest for once...

I really look forward to the programmes and invariably end up watching them again. I always like the parts showing amateurs out in the field and these could be longer maybe with more actual views from cameras and video cameras? I also think the programme could champion darker skies more and try to push the evidence for turning street lights off/dim them and open up the debate to try change the fixed attitudes to crime and safety that get churned up so often with little evidence to back them up. Just my thoughts. I hope everyone enjoys this year's programmes :-)

Cheers,

Steve

For me, simply a program about Astronomy! I am not convinced SCIENCE needs a troupe 

of alternative comedians... jugglers... mummers... atheist skeptics... the inevitable (BBC?) 

"Top Gear" format - That seems to accompany anything vaguely "scientific" these days.  :o

And I GENUINELY believe, science, well explained, without this wince-making academic

eleteism can appeal to almost everyone... A bit like the rank and file Astronomers I meet

at my local Astro Soc! And significantly unlike many of the above "science hangers on"? :p

That said, I fear I may have participated in a recorded piece in for BBC Wales "Stargazing

Live Science Cafe" - Today at 6.30 p.m. apparently... Assuming it didn't end on the cutting

room floor, I hate to think what other Astronomers will think. No (Twitter) "death threats"? :D

I like the show. It's good for engaging the masses and for people that can handle some light humour to ease the overwhelming information overload from some fascinating and extremely knowledgeable people. Last year's live coverage of the aurora was very successful and quite incredible to watch. As with the aurora coverage, the eclipse will be filmed from a plane, so that gives them a better chance of getting some live coverage of totality (as long as the weather is kind enough to allow a take off!) :D

Of course, the show wont be all about the eclipse. Enjoy the build up all and enjoy eclipse day because whatever the weather, it wont happen again in these parts this decade. ;)

Archived