Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

sky at night ep review bst starguider

alro

Thanks jeremy,

it was the review i was after, i have seen it previously but cant remember where.

just wanted to revisit it as maybe i can understand a little better now!! Only read when i was looking at what to buy.

al

Hi al,  from what I can see, the review was in the Jan 2013 issue. I might even have it buried away somewhere, although I gave a lot of mags away a while back. From memory the starguider was up against  a Vixen, a Revelation GSO, a Meade, possible a skywatcher and maybe another. I  don't think any of them did badly but think the GSO was the best of the normal plossls and the Starguider was the best - BUT given that they have more  elements with some "ED" glass, arguably they should be better. 

I enjoy reading Sky at Night but I'll confess that I often find their reviews lacking, so  I'm not sure you would gain anything more useful than what you will find on this and other forums from people who have used equipment over a more meaningful period. Hope I've not upset anybody there!

I found the back issue of Sky at Night. Memory? What memory!  The review compared a Celestron Omni 52 degree , a  Revelation Superview 68 degree, a Bresser SPL 52 degree , the Starguider ED 60 degree, a Skywatcher Ultrawide 64 degree, and a GSO Super Plossl 52 degree. The Starguider got 4 stars and the rest were all 3 stars. In the write up though not listed any  order after the starguider I get the impression that maybe the GSO was the next best performer for the money, but each had its pros and cons.

I've sent a PM with more detail.

Hi Charic, yes my collection was sagging the floorboards until I decided enough was enough.  I "redistributed"  most of them to others who I thought just might find them interesting, and kept a small pile that had something I wanted to re-read at some point  - as you do. Jan 2103 was just happened to be one of them. As to "effort" , no effort really at least I got  to read it again!

The BST is at least £9 more than the others.

Are all the others plossls?!

It's not really an apples with apples comparison is it?

The Revelation Superview 15mm and Skywatcher UWA 15mm have 4 elements in 3 groups. The Celestron Omni, Bresser SPL and GSO Superplossl are 4 elements in 2 group plossl designs and the BST Starguider 15mm has 6 elements in 4 groups. So a bit of a mix of designs and prices.

I guess the theme of the review might have been "1st step up from stock eyepieces" or similar ?

.......I've tried to work out in what category/design the BSTs fall into, but they seem to have a design of their own, or should ! say, that of the Astro-tech Paradigm ( who I believe were first on the market?)

Perhaps  that is the new category,  The 6 Element Paradigm! :laugh:

Archived