NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M101 - Unmodified DSLR

frugal

The weather forecast promised 3 clear nights, but only one turned up. Due to getting back late from London; the laptop giving me the BSoD and refusing to recognise the USB hub; and Astrotortilla and BYEOS refusing to play nicely together it was 1am by the time I managed to start imaging. Fortunately I did not have to go into work the following day, so I kept imaging until it started to get light (boy am I suffering for it today ;) )

M101 with an ED80 and an unmodified Canon 60D. 7x300s and 17x600s (when I was confident that the guiding was working OK, and the skies were dark enough I upped the exposure time).

There was obviously something a little off as there is a large spread around the brighter stars, I am fairly confident that the focus was OK as I check with the Bahtinov mask and it looked good. I think that there might have been poor seeing or high level vapor in the atmosphere. Or it might just have been that I have had to crop the image more than usual, so the stars appear to be bigger.

3b0e31665ad700babc5abcec2e0f0668.620x0_q

Although, I had just found a version I did a year ago and my expectations have obviously changed over the past 12 months as the new version is a lot better than the version from last year: 

get.jpg

Nice image. Well done. We're on M101 too at the moment...

It's true that in 12 months, a lot of experience can be gained. We started imaging about 13 months ago and there is a big difference with images back then and what is done now :)

• 9 months later...

Archived