NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got a new Canon, Whats next?

simmo39

Hi all, Got myself a modded Canon 600D care of Cheap Astrophotography ( thank you Juan ). I have read the distructions, read making every photon count and think Im now ready to have my first play. Im not expecting great things out of the box but would like some tips on first target and settings just to get the hang of the camera. I know the scope im using is not ideal (SW127 MAK on a HEQ5 ) but thats what I have got at the moment. Hopefully that will change in the future.  Any pointers and tips would be welcomed. 

Tonite is looking good at the moment :).

Have you got all the bits you need?  T piece to attach camera to scope.  USB cable (the right one).  Have you tried the software you are going to use to capture images?  It's not funny trying to learn a new s/w package in the dark and cold.

My advice is once you've got the hang of the very basics (learn how to change camera settings, how to connect to the scope - assuming you have the right bits), is to point the scope at a bright star or patch of stars, and learn how to focus.

Once you get the hang of this, become adventurous - learn drift alignment, DARV method is easy and accurate.

Once polar aligned, point at M42, Orion Nebula and try some 60, 90, 180, 300 second subs and see what looks good.

Even a single 60 second sub should make you say wow out loud when you look at the image afterwards.

After you get the hang of this, if you haven't  already, look at guiding - you won't look back then.

Good luck!

Whilst the 127 Mak is not an ideal instrument for deep sky imaging, you should be able to get some results on a nice bright target, although you may find the FOV is a little small. If on the other hand, you have a camera lens, 18-55 or 50mm (nifty fifty), then just mount that on the HEQ5 and give that a go. You will need some way to trigger the shutter on the camera, and a timer remote (intervalometer) can be had for about £15 from Amazon ( I got this  ) You should have a dovetail bar with the mount, so some way of mounting the camera to the dovetail. A well aligned HEQ5 is able to track for 5 minutes unguided with the 50mm, so you'll be able to get long exposures without the associated complexities of adding guiding. 

Hi, thanks for all the reply so soon, I have got a remote shutter release and a means of attaching to my scope. All being well then Ill have a pot shot at M42, All im concerned with at the moment is at least getting something that I can see. I will have a play with the settings and see what happens. Hopefully tomorrow I will have something to show you.

Once again thanks.  :grin:

If you have a laptop for control, APT is a great piece of software - essentially free, although not all features are available in the free version - but think the cost was about £12 for the license - so very cheap compared to many. It has some useful focus aid tools - although I think they are only available in the paid version.

Good luck and look forward to what you come up with. From my own experience - don't get too depsondent if it doesn't work, keep trying and every venture out doors gets better!

Great thread title by the way....had some interesting thoughts just reading the title! :-)

Hi, thanks for all the reply so soon, I have got a remote shutter release and a means of attaching to my scope. All being well then Ill have a pot shot at M42, All im concerned with at the moment is at least getting something that I can see. I will have a play with the settings and see what happens. Hopefully tomorrow I will have something to show you.

Once again thanks.  :grin:

Have a go with a starting point of ISO800, and try 60second exposures.. That may be a little long, but check zoomed in all the way for trailing of the stars.. if there is, reduce the exposure time, until you stop trailing.

My 600D came from CheapAstro, if your not using a laptop then a remote control will do the same thing, longer than 30 second subs ect ect....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-intervalometer-remote-shutter-Camera/dp/B00C1C0WQC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424250219&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+600d+remote

I've got this and it's very good, but the adaptor section kept coming off so I've had to tape it on!

Also have a go at ISO 1600. The 600D isn't too noisy so it's a good ISO. Plus you'll get more detail at that ISO. Good luck!

Alexxx

Archived