First scope: Reflector or Refractor?

Hi SGL

I'm looking at my first scope and after some great help on a previous thread, I'm now looking at either a Skywatcher EvoStar 90 (EQ) or a Skywatcher Explorer 130 (EQ)

I'm struggling to decide whether to go for a Reflector or Refractor... I'm aware reflectors provider greater aperture for less £££'s however my hangups are Collimating and Cleaning.

Can anyone give me some idea as to how often they have to be collimated and how often the mirror has to be cleaned? I'd be happy with either scope to be honest but just want to make an informed decision

Many thanks in advance

James

A mirror needs to be VERY dirty before it needs cleaning - which is not hard to do - there are loads of guides online.

Collimation is also not difficult and becomes very easy once you have done it a few times  - nothing to worry about - and again there are loads of guides online.

The 130 Newt is the better all rounder of the two scopes you mention.

I would go the opposite direction from the guys above and recommend going with a refractor. My first scope was a frac even though i did originally have my mind set on a newt but i am glad i chose the path i did. No collimation, no worries about the mirror, just stick it on the mount and go. I am also not a fan of star spikes so a refractor was the only way to go for me in the end really. 

Having said that, in order to decide what scope you want you should first decide what you are going to do with it. It is for viewing only, are you planning on imaging, if so what objects, planetary, DSOs, galaxies?

Callum

Thanks for your advise so far everyone

Callum - Probably leaning more towards DSO's but the other half would appreciate a glimpse of Jupiter and Saturn if they're up

What would you expect the visual difference be between the Evostar 90 frac and the Explorer 130 reflector?

Cheers

+1 for the 130 Newt, as a beginner you will want a good look at all classes of objects that the reflector will do well. I would also consider upping the game with a 150mm Dobsonian if your budget will allow. As others have said, don't worry about collimation or mirror cleaning, you are most likely to get a reflector at some stage due to economics and aperture fever so the sooner you learn these skills the better.  :smiley:

Get the one you feel most comfortable with.

You will use it more and be less concerned/bothered.

As it is a first one the Evostar 90 is likely "better".

Easy to use and learn with, and you are likely to sell it on easier if you decide to or just as likely to keep it for impromptu or quick observing sessions.

Following on from the other thread, is there a reason why you fancy an EQ mount for the 130?

In terms of purely visual work, newts on Dob mounts are quicker and easier to use, easier to transport to dark skies, more user friendly, there's less hassel in setting up, no awkward eyepiece position or fussing with newt rotation to place the eyepiece, and so on. The other benefit of the Dob mount is that you're effectively ploughing your money into the optics - rather than the mount - so, with a similar budget, you can either go for bigger aperture or save yourself money.

I appreciate the agony of trying to decide on your first scope. Indeed, it's very tricky to make a decision if you live in an area where there are no other stargazers (like being near a smallish town in Spain). Nevertheless, I'd suggest that you try to find a local astronomy club and if possible pop along to a star party to get a feel for different types of telescopes and the chance to look through a number of them.

Another possible avenue would be to gradually save a little bit more and budget for an 8" dob (only £50 more expensive than the Evostar 90/EQ). I feel an 8" dob will give you years of pleasure and in time will save you money, for you won't be needing to upgrade on aperture for a good while or ever be thinking 'what if...?"

To get some idea of what a decent 4" achro-frac can discern (and I imagine, for argument's sake, a 5" newt), have a look at this link. 

If youre still considering a 130, make sure its the pds version - especially if you plan on ever sticking a camera on it in the near/distant future.

My 130 gets collimated every 3-4 months, whenever im doing some cleaning of filters, camera etc... And it only ever needs a wee tweak of the primary. However I am very careful not to ding the scope when carrying between the house and the mount - and when its not being used it rests on a thick bed of bubble wrap.... its quite spoilt really :)

I'd choose the 90mm refractor any day over the 130 Newt. It will require virtually no maintainence, does not suffer from coma, spider diffraction or central obstruction, all of which are detrimental to contrast and definition. The refractor will not have the same light gathering capability of the 130 Newt, but it will provide sharper star images and planetary contrast. The refractor will also give you good views of many of the brighter deep sky objects, giving great rich field views of spectacular star fields, while on the other hand it would be able to deliver sharp high power viewing. Horses for courses!

Mike :-)

Archived