NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Feb 6th redo

neil phillips

I saved the raw stacks from this, as I thought it was worth re processing at some point. I tried different wavelets to see if I could get more detail out. I have also kept the image size around capture size, As it was easier to get it to look tight. Don't think I can get anymore out of this.

post-2700-0-28415300-1423887713.png

That looks a tiny bit sharper Neil, how come you are using the skywatcher, i would have thought the OO would be better

For the most part it is, But bigger optics can produce better resolution, But its like getting blood out of a stone recently, The Orion is more consistent for some reason

I want to test it as much as I can, I have considered getting the optics reworked. But am unsure if It would benefit, as last year it seemed to be able to do this

The Orion does better under poorer seeing

post-2700-0-90784600-1423890895.png

Well done Neil - it's probably enough for me to get one scope tuned up for Jupiter, even with the luxury of the obs!    But the 12" definitely can certainly deliver the goods, even if the you have to struggle against it's stubborn temperament and the cooling issues.      The 300P is certainly not a beginners scope, but I bet many have been sold to more affluent starters who will have struggled and probably put off by its foibles.    It does at least mean there is a ready and cheap second hand market ;)

The processing looks nice and not forced, though I am looking on a very poor display at the moment.

Not much wrong with that Neil. The 2nd one is a corker...is that the best you got from the previous year with the big fella?

I cant remember, it was a redo this year of a older under processed capture I did, I may have others showing more detail, but also less natural..

I want to catch other good moments with the big one But the Orion is safer ground, less hassle, and more likely to deliver something after all the work, Maybe I will get the optics tested To see whats really going, I was offered to do so but haven't yet Maybe its time I checked things out.

Cheers for the interest, Wish it would deliver more of what I saw last year

It's a nice capture Neil. The redo of the older data is really lovely. Have you had any more thoughts on the Orion...do you think you have this one sorted now or do you still need to confirm this in better seeing?

Pete

It's a nice capture Neil. The redo of the older data is really lovely. Have you had any more thoughts on the Orion...do you think you have this one sorted now or do you still need to confirm this in better seeing?

Pete

Hi Pete, to be honest I am still slightly uncertain,I do know I have noticed a improvement, since I reset the cell. But that's not the question. Untill I bag some shots like I know I did in the past, its very hard to tell.

This year has been so difficult, that I have struggled to disentangle the question.

Even Darryl, was mentioning, many have been getting poorer blue channels this year. So I am finding it difficult to be certain of anything.

All I can say is, Since re setting it, It seems to want to perform better on each outing. No doubt I will learn more as time goes by Pete.

Cheers

Nice shot there Neil, though I know you will not be satisfied.  March/April normally has the highest proportion of good seeing nights all year, so I am sure you will still get some killer images in the next moth or so.

Thanks Nick. Doing so well when I first started imaging after getting the Orion. Kind of spoiled my expectations, So of course who wants to go backwards.

I am sure you know what I mean.

I don't look for fault, But we all know when we get something that leaves us feeling more satisfied. Again I am sure you know what I mean. I cant afford a large SCT, hence working with the large Sky watcher Nick.  But it's temperamental to say the least

Archived