SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear Outside Astronomy Weather App for Android

FLO

Hi Knobby,

Darren has reported something similar, he is running an LG G3 and Lollipop too.

I cannot replicate this problem no matter what I try in the Android emulator so it's proving impossible to track down the cause. The two common points are Lollipop (but I've been able to test against several lollipop devices without issue) and the high density screens both devices use.

I'll keep trying :)

Cheers,

Grant

Cheers Grant, no worries, just feedback  :grin:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I found the bug :-)

If you have changed your default font size in display settings then it causes the app issues.

I've fixed it and just testing the fix now - hopefully will roll out an update in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Grant

Just downloaded the app and wanted to add my thanks to Grant and FLO for this gift to us cybernetic-not-fruity types. From my limited year-and-a-half experience of 'serious' (lol) stargazing, I'm not aware of another retailer who is so closely aligned with the 'grassroots' in terms of giving their time and effort in providing helpful goodies like CO. Big thanks from me!

I don't expect *any* weather app to be 100% correct every night - they are after all, *forecasts*. Predictions...Only based on better tools than entrails, tea leaves or chicken bones :D

I use CO (& Meteoblu to be fair) to check if it's a likely Ooh or Oh evening...then my eyes take it from there...

So... Thanks Grant and all. My (groan) app-reciation for your work too.

I'm very much looking forward to my daily dose of mobile Clear Outside...

BTW, CO is spot on for today: curtains closed, total cloudshroud here. Sigh...

Hope the coffee is flo-ing there :)

(....I'll get my coat.....)

Cheers

Steve

I should really clarify what I was experiencing with the app.

First off - in no way was I suggesting that FLO had anything underhand to do with this at all - I completely accept that this app is a gift to the community and that is something that I am very grateful for. 

I have XPrivacy installed on my S4 Active, after getting a bit annoyed at various apps requesting my information that had nothing to do with the running of the app, and those apps have made me a lot more wary of installing applications no matter the source. I had also heard of situations where a company or group contracted to get an app built, but the developers went a little overboard with the information gathered by that application. I've also seen personally an application that gathered information even though it didn't notify that through the google play interface. I flagged the XPrivacy requests as I was unsure whether FLO were aware of that info being requested by the app, and I would be unlikely to be the only person to use this protection on my phone.

I also work as a Unix administrator with responsibility for about 12,000 servers that generate revenue of ~8 billion dollars a year, so I've learned to be hyper-aware of things in the networking background.

When I installed the ClearOutside app, XPrivacy flagged up these 4 information requests (images resized from the original 1080x1920 and are ~20kb in size) :

View.pngPhone.png

Serial.pngLocation.png

I've since educated myself on what each of these requests does and what it would be used for.

View / Webview - allows a web page to be displayed on the device.

Phone / GetNetworkCountryIso - lets a developer knows the country and probable language of the user.

Location / RequestLocationUpdates - gives the device location so that the correct current location can be determined.

Identificaiton / Serial -the serial number of the device.

I block the serial number of the device from every app unless it's a paid app that uses the serial to determine licensing, but that's a personal thing and is of little relevance to most people, it's just considered good practice in my line of work.

I have absolutely zero issues with the application, and I think I owe FLO an apology for causing headaches where no headaches needed to be caused.. Seriously guys! I'm sorry for causing the hassle!

I have absolutely zero issues with the application, and I think I owe FLO an apology for causing headaches where no headaches needed to be caused.. Seriously guys! I'm sorry for causing the hassle!

Thank-you :smile: 

Steve

New release available in the Play store.

Looks good, no issues seen. I wasn't affected by the differing font size problem, so I can't answer to that.

Suggestion? A little highlight around the current hour's forecast columns might make it that bit easier to see where it is, especially after scrolling a few times.

Also, I managed to confuse myself by reading the Sun forecast portion as the day name a few times, even though the day name was right there to its left. Maybe put a little sun icon immediately to the left of the "Sun", to give people a little visual indication that the "Sun" there is not referring to the short usage of Sunday..

Ans thanks again - this app is getting great use from me!

Also, I managed to confuse myself by reading the Sun forecast portion as the day name a few times, even though the day name was right there to its left. Maybe put a little sun icon immediately to the left of the "Sun", to give people a little visual indication that the "Sun" there is not referring to the short usage of Sunday..

Glad it wasn't only me!!! 

I think I found the bug :-)

If you have changed your default font size in display settings then it causes the app issues.

I've fixed it and just testing the fix now - hopefully will roll out an update in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Grant

Cheers chaps, all lines up nicely now !

Great app. But there is one thing I would like to see. When it gives the gps coordinates for a position it would be great to have these in hours and minutes rather than decimal hours (maybe the option is already there and I just haven't found it).

But it would be ideal for me for the location data to be in the same format as my eq6 asks for when setting it up. So if I'm in a new location, the data is easily accessible. Although that may well be speaking more to my laziness.

cool!  :smiley:

just put this on my Lenovo A10, no issues finding in Play, uploading or getting going - really pleased to have this - thank you

Only issue so far, on my big screen it shows hours for 2 nights so slightly confusing for my little brain to grasp which one is which - will play until the penny drops

FWIW Amazon Apps store is a good place to offer Apps also (I trust it more than Play, though maybe I shouldn't). Searching for Clear Outside in Amazon bring up 'Metal Slug' game as the closest match !?

We've made some tweaks to the way the day name, Sun and Moon bit are displayed to reduce confusion. It is now the day name with three characters (Mon, Tue etc..) in a larger, bolder font and Sun is now Solar and Moon is now Lunar. Steve had also mentioned this issue during testing but I wasn't convinced it was an issue but I'm happy to be proved wrong :)

We have also made a significant change to the way you can swipe around the app - there should no longer be a delay in the hours bar catching up. Swiping should be much more positive and responsive - we hope you like! :)

Cheers,

Grant

Great App. I love it.

The Only issues I have found on HTC Desire One Android 4.1.1 (Don't laugh, it's not that old), Clear Outside 1.1 downloaded 19/2/15, are:

There are pop-up speech boxes are  behind the day/solar/lunar bar. I can't read them as the text is hidden.

The left/right scroll is very sensitive to how hard/long the screen is touched, it feels like a timing issue when reading the touch coords.

It would be nice to show the units of all numbers somewhere (Remember the Mars Orbiter!)

Overall, very good and I will make it my main weather App.

Thanks to all involved.

Correction.

Great App. I love it.

The Only issues I have found on HTC Desire One Android 4.1.1 (Don't laugh, it's not that old), Clear Outside 1.1 downloaded 19/2/15, are:

There are pop-up speech boxes are  behind the day/solar/lunar bar. I can't read them as the text is hidden.

The left/right scroll is very sensitive to how hard/long the screen is touched, it feels like a timing issue when reading the touch coords.

It would be nice to show the units of all numbers somewhere (Remember the Mars Orbiter!)

Overall, very good and I will make it my main weather App.

Thanks to all involved.

I see that units have been included, it is just that I need a very, verry fast, verry, verry light tap to bring up the popups, which are sometimes behing the date header bar.

Great app. Is there a way to delete saved locations?

Long-touch the saved location you want to manipulate, you'll get a menu for "Edit Location" or "Delete Location"

The more I use this app, the more I smile. 

Except when it predicts lots of red and wet... Then again, that's Ireland for you!

Between this mobile application and the forum weather signature applet image generator, it's a great gift back! <thumbs-up>

• 1 month later...

Cheers for this, great service even for those of us across the pond.  At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, I will second the request that the Lat/Long be displayed in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds.

Well done, all round!   Very much appreciated, indeed.

Archived