Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12V power connectors

Hi All

i would be grateful for advice on DC power connectors.

I am going to run 13.8V DC power from the garden shed to the cigarette lighter 4-way splitter box on my tripod.

Is there anything other than the standard cigarette lighter trailing socket that I could use to connect to this?

They just seem a bit primitive and prone to popping out....so I want to avoid the main DC connection going through one of these.

Cheers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a great fan of cigar lighter plugs and sockets but in truth, good quality versions have never failed me - however, you can ensure that they can't pop out by looping a pair of cable ties in an 'X' running over the shoulders of the plug and round the socket housing. Also, use good quality designs:-

AVOID THIS STYLE

post-1029-0-02081000-1423341967.png

GO FOR THIS STYLE

post-1029-0-40583000-1423341977.png

You have a number of choices but it's not clear what environment you are taking about, is the connection in the shed or outside so needs to be waterproof?

Also over what distance are you taking about from your shed to your rig? If it's too long you can suffer from voltage drop with DC.

As you are talking about a trailing socket I'd consider the plug and socket you see on garden electric tools

If that doesn't appeal then go along to your local Maplins and see what they have.

I use these from Maplin on everything, they twist and lock, just have to be careful not to trip over the cables as they don't pop out light cig' ones.

Also need to ensure there's a fuse somewhere if you loose the one in the cig' plug.

Dave

post-21198-0-30162400-1423344238_thumb.j

When I set up my observatory I had every intention to replace the cigar lighter plugs with Anderson Powerpole connectors but never quite got round to it. 2 years later the cigar plugs are still there and working OK. One day perhaps I'll get it done.

Another option that others have favoured is XLR connectors.

A vote for the marine connectors, just put together this black box :----

post-3788-0-74075600-1423348997_thumb.jp

post-3788-0-97981000-1423349122_thumb.jp

This routes passive usb, houses 4port dew controller, psu for netbook and a couple of 12v outlets that use aviation keyed sockets. The marine 12v input socket has a rubberised cover.

Hwyl!

Thanks for all the replies. Plenty of food for thought.

Davey-T, those look like the twist and lock speaker connectors that I have at work...nice and sturdy.

Astro Adam... nice video... I might go for those marine grade connectors.

Off to the shed to start drilling!

I would recommend separating the 240v out from the 12v.

I use a 200W 12v bench power supply, inside a dry box (one of those used to plug in a lawnmower outside). I only have the 12v feed running out of the box and connected to the 4-way box. That way, there's never any 240v stuff exposed to the elements.

The bench supply is plugged into an extension lead inside the box too. All that goes from the box to the house is the cable itself.

I also use a plug in RCD on the end of the 240v supply from the box to the house. Never tripped it yet, but better to be sure.

You can see a little bit of the power splitter box I made (which actually has a built-in wireless router now) on my website here:-

http://www.astrosite.co.uk/project-hybrid-wireless-router-power-splitter-box/

As you can see on the photos, I also (in fact mostly) use it with a leisure battery...

I agree about keeping 240V well out the way somewhere dry and connect by an RCD.

240V can kill in an instant and really needs to be kept away from damp, lumps of metal like telescope gear.

Human beings can also be quite good conductors too!

Much safer to have a bench power supply under cover somewhere than run a computer style mains powered adaptor outside by the telescope.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there guys, 

I also need to power an AVX mount (12v 3Amp) and a dew heater (12V 0.5 amp). As I view pretty much only in my garden, I think I'll go with the bench supply in a weather proof box.  But don't we have to ensure those bench supplies are well ventilated?  Do you just leave the lid loose a bit when in use?

Also, have a lot of you gone with the Maplin XM21X as your bench supply?

Congrats Faulksy!

The neutrix connectors look great.  But what I'm struggling with is how do I power two items with cigarette lighter type ends (or neutrix ends) from the bench supply - there needs to be some kind of splitter box, and I don't think the Advanced VX mount I'm buying has one.  Do these have to be home made or is there something I can buy?

Cheers

Fish

Hi there guys, 

I also need to power an AVX mount (12v 3Amp) and a dew heater (12V 0.5 amp). As I view pretty much only in my garden, I think I'll go with the bench supply in a weather proof box.  But don't we have to ensure those bench supplies are well ventilated?  Do you just leave the lid loose a bit when in use?

Also, have a lot of you gone with the Maplin XM21X as your bench supply?

I went for the Maplin 30A bench supply...brilliant.... and more power than you will ever need.

I dithered over the price at £99, but considering that you might end up buying two less powerful supplies eventually, it seemed worth it.

It sits in the shed, all nice and dry and well venetilated, and I run 13.8V down a couple of 20A capacity wires to a trailing 12V socket..... mount etc connects to that.

Congrats Faulksy!

The neutrix connectors look great.  But what I'm struggling with is how do I power two items with cigarette lighter type ends (or neutrix ends) from the bench supply - there needs to be some kind of splitter box, and I don't think the Advanced VX mount I'm buying has one.  Do these have to be home made or is there something I can buy?

Cheers

Fish

I bought a cigarette socket type splitter from ebay.

It has a trailing plug to go in the lighter socket and a box with 4 cigarette lighter sockets and a master on/off switch.

Seems to do the job ok.

Thanks Kropster. Does your bench supply have two seperate outputs, each leading down a wire to a socket?  

Yes... a positive and a negative post terminal with wire end wrapped around it.

Here is a link to the Maplin page with a pic...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/375w-linear-dc-variable-voltage-bench-power-supply-rp10l?gclid=CPaXnL-wocQCFaTnwgodb5EAQA

I'll probably go with the 7 amp XM20:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/13-8V-REGULATED-MAINS-BENCH-SUPPLY/dp/B005ERF8LK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426120940&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=13.8v+regulated+power+supply+5a

I'll wire that to a length of DC 10amp cable, and wire the other end to a neutrix connector.   The other end of  the neutrix connector pair I will attach to a 1 to 4 cigarette socket trailing lead (will need to cut off the male cigarette end and replace with the neutrix).  

XM20 will live in the garage

Archived