NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First go at planetary image ...

Paul-F

I'm a disabled astronomer using one hand and I'm also trying my hand at planetary imaging with CMOS cams. I like the  Jupiter images as we all have something to learn. My vids are really RAW and I never imaged a planet with any success yet but, no fear I'll get there I've got a lxd55 goto and faster scope now. Keep at it, the satisfaction is in the Journey.

I worked hard, spending ages on focus to get a good pic and ended up with the first one - then tried video but too much exposure! I later read the manual and saw the 'manual' settings for video lol ...duh. Second one was a revelation after a few false starts with software. I ended up using AutoStakkert (easy, and works out of the box). I saw Jupiter sharp in the ep but the camera was always fuzzy and tbh the final result was not expected, but practice makes perfect and there's plenty of time to hone my skills on Jupiter before I try Saturn :)

I am happy with these results ..

I'm a disabled astronomer using one hand and I'm also trying my hand at planetary imaging with CMOS cams. I like the  Jupiter images as we all have something to learn. My vids are really RAW and I never imaged a planet with any success yet but, no fear I'll get there I've got a lxd55 goto and faster scope now. Keep at it, the satisfaction is in the Journey.

Yeah, the good Jupiter images are astounding and a worthy target, lots of trial & error ahead no doubt   :)

The biggest problem for me was getting what I though was a good focus on the camera screen - I even made a Bahtinov Mask from cardboard but ended up using the Mark 1 eyeball anyway and still was not convinced but processing the video made it for me!

My video is here btw ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KVmGt4V8E

Nice start Paul, second image shows a fair amount of detail, how many frames are you capturing for stacking?

John

I let Autostakkert do its thing and told it to stack 10% (I assume the best 10% lol!). That was my first image from a stacked avi but have read more since, as one does and I am now thinking of rotation impacting the detail so more software. Now thinking that a de-rotated 1 min vid will be better ...

Video is in the link above (1:43 min, 1080p @ 50fps) ... 

Archived