NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Skywatcher Dob design in the Pipeline ?

Theres been a thread running on the Cloudynights site regarding a rumoured new design of Skywatcher Dobsonian which retracts / collapses for more compactness. This japanese language web site has been posted showing pictures of what looks like an early version such a scope:

http://www.goto-kyoei.co.jp/netshop/kenko/se_dob.html

Possible competition for the Meade Lightbridge ?.

A retracting mechanism like that would surely introduce loads of potential for optical missalignment / collimation problems wouldn't it ?.

If this is the way that Skywatcher dob design is going I'm not sure that I understand why :afro:

John

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a matter of time before Synta went the Truss way too.

Russ

Is there a good reason for this or is it just "fashionable" ?.

I wonder if they will keep the solid tube series going as well ?.

John

I sense more "optimised" as portable rigs for "Arizona skies, SUVs, peace & tranquility" etc. [dreaming]. I imagine they could be quite useful in an observatory or semi-permananent UK setup... But some of the "(ultra) minimal" Dobsonians are neat and VERY pretty. :afro:

The way the weather has been of late, they would be ideal. Quick set up, quick knock down if the rain comes and I assume they must cool very quickly.

Does anyone know how small a space do they pack down into?

Mike

Flextube??? That doesn't sound good! Who came up with that one? :?

Not an astronomer, that much is clear :)

Never mind, Synta/Skywatcher have a good reputation for bringing well thought out designs to the market so I guess we can forgive them the odd duff name. At least they haven't given it their PRO champagne colour teatment...

They've also got 16" version in the works, I'm not sure how much weight those aluminium struts will take though :rolleyes:

http://www.gs-telescope.com/content.asp?id=85

The Taiwanese GSO Dobsonians are not related Gaz. The Skywatchers are designed and manufactured in-house by Synta. The new GSO's are however related to the Meade Lightbridge, which GSO also make.

Though I don't know anything for sure, I would be surprised if Synta/Skywatcher don't offer larger apertures later. If they did not it would be a real shame as the case 'for' a truss Dobsonian becomes stronger as the aperture increases.

I'm not too sure about the "truss" part of the design - I thought that the whole point of a truss tube structure was to have the 6 or 8 tubes working against each other in compression and tension to maintain the alignment of the secondary cage. Having just 3 unlinked thin tubes (which basically makes it a "beam-tube" scope) looks like a recipie for misalignment and twisting of the upper end. Not being a dob owner myself, I may well be missing something, so go easy on me guys..... :?

Regards, Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

What if they are not expensive? If priced low enough could they do to the RC market what Synta's ED80 did to the APO refractor market?

Hhmmm!

Well, it looks like they've hit Australia:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Scroll down until you get to the RC section. Damn good prices for a RC:

RC-150SDX 6"...A$1499.00

RC-200SDX 8"...A$2799.00

Holy **** batman!

Does Guan Sheng have a good reputation though? I'm tempted to wait for the 10" and put that with a Celestron CGE...

Dave

Archived