Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using cheap Windows tablet with APT?

michaelmorris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with BYEOS at the moment because I am playing with the 7DII and APT 7DII  is still in Beta all the important stuff works ... 

I have always had both installed on my computers...  AF with APT  is easier than  remote manual focus with FWHM measurement BYEOS  but both work...

I find BYEOS slightly easier to use on smaller screened devices ...

Peter...

Battery life outside sub zero was around 3 hours running BYEOS  with the display on most of the time , WI-FI off , Wireless keyboard/trackpad  transceiver powered by Tablet over USB... Not brilliant but OK...

WiFi transfer between the tablet and the PC was a bit slow at around 2.7 MB/s

Peter...

Managed to get APT running OK with the Canon 1100d  :grin:  (after a slight fiddle) - but must admit to using it with the obs PC not the tablet  :rolleyes:  I decided to learn things in bits rather than try it all at once!  (and its freezing, so fiddling outside wouldn't have lasted long!!)

Progress though, so tomorrow is hopefully APT and BYEOS testing on the tab during the day and then adding the astrotrac in the dark.

Thanks for the help  :smiley:

Helen

PS I was looking for a tab holder, so the link looked good Kev, but measures and the Surface is 8 inches  :huh: Never mind....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iStabilizer-TabMount-Tripod-Mount-Stand-Adapter-for-Tablets-Apple-Samsung-/291327714907?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item43d47c265b

That's the clamp we use for the Microsoft surface , it has a standard 1/4"-20 UNC bush on the back of it - the tripod in the pic isn't included.... It fits the surface 3 pro with a few mm to spare...

Peter....

This is the mount I linked to above, the clamp fits comfortably and securely to the Gitzo mount leg. The only thing to be cautious about is that the lower right hand pad sits over the volume controls of th HP Stream 7, even spinning the mount 180 degrees don't resolve this. So the clamp is excellent, the tablet mount is ok with reservations.

DSC04134_web.jpg

The OTG 3 port hub assembly also turned up and it came in two pieces lol. The charge lead doesn't look like it was positioned correctly when it was assembled and the cables didn't get terminated correctly. One to go back and reorder, worth checking yourselves that the cables are all fully functioning.

DSC04128_web.jpg

After playing with the HP Stream 7 tablet for a while I've noticed that the OS will randomly stop the wifi adapter and refuse to let it run again. A simple cure is to uninstall the adaptor, reinstall the driver software and reboot. The Wifi adaptor driver can be found here under Network along with all the other tablet drivers http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Stream-Tablets/7439994/model/7482041/drivers

I can't say I have noticed that (yet) but I'm not trying to do quite as much with mine as you are with yours...

My only minor gripe is how slow the file transfer over Wi-Fi is...

From the internal card to my desktop over the network with the tablet in the same room as the wireless router and a matter of feet from it it's around 2.7 MB/s...

I don't fancy popping the back cover and removing the card every time I want to read it...

I always tend to use the PC+Camera option for data storage when I am shooting anyway so can always read the files from the CF cards but then you loose the long info rich filenames that you get from APT and BYEOS...

Battery life has been around 3 hours when the temp is sub zero (Wi-Fi off) ... Plenty for what I want to use it for...

So apart from that I think they are excellent VFM ...

Peter...

For the price they are extremely good lol. I've bought a ASI120 guide can which is waiting for me at home. I'll have a play over the weekend to see if I can get the tablet running the guidecam with PHD controlling the mount and the tablet running APT for the camera. I'm currently just saving to the camera rather than camera and tablet but that might change. I have found the tablet to be excellent mounted on the tripod and shooting tethered for long exposures stuff

sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

• 5 months later...

Hmm, these cheap Windows tablets look promising, especially for those looking for a cheap portable guiding solution.

I'm thinking of getting one myself, mainly to run Phd and a Meade DSI-C (the old first model). Has anyone out there tried this combo? I don't see any Windows 8 drivers on Meade's website so am unsure if the tablet would recognise it

The biggest problem you are likely to come across (provided you can get the drivers to work)  limited battery life - especially if you are powering USB devices off the tablets internal battery. Some of the OTG hubs allow you to power the USB devices connected to it off an external battery.

Peter...

Keep you eyes open for the 10" linx when its on offer, unlike many of the others its got a separate charging point (5V) so can be charged and run from a usb adapter. Seem to come up for £75-100. Have seen some of the other 10" tablets coming up cheap as well, think most can be powered from an external supply separate tot he usb.

Just make sure it has real windoze on it and not the rt whatever. It won't run it or anything else compiled for the x86_64 versions. I picked up one and ended up giving to the wife and buying an Asus Transformer. Its worked flawlessly. Has a 500Gig drive in the  keyboard in addition to the ssd memory. USB3.0 and its fairly quick.

Griz

• 1 year later...

Archived