Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone using cheap Windows tablet with APT?

michaelmorris

I installed Starry Night Pro Plus 7 Planetarium software on the HP Stream 7 fully expecting it to quickly grind to a halt lol but it works and works well :) I had to try it as I use the same software on my laptop for driving an EQ mount and I prefer the telescope control on it rather than Stellarium or CdC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a HP Stream 7 yesterday and installed APT, BackyardEOS, AstroTortilla for plate solving, Python Anaconda, Stellarium and Ascom for mount control, EOS Utilities and a few more programmes. Seems to be handling it all quite well

Is this the one you brought?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/hp-stream-7-tablet-32-gb-black-10075694-pdt.html#longDesc

Also how did you put eos utilities on it?

I'll be testing that tomorrow on an EQ3 Michael but I can't see any reason why not. The test will be using the HPStream 7, an OTG hub, a Startech FTDI usb>Rs232 cable connected via the EQ3 synscan handset and controlled with EQAscom

sent from my Sony Xperia Z2

Ok, the system is under test. Using the HP Stream 7 to run an EQ3 Pro under Starry Night Pro Plus 7/EQAscom control, a 5D3 sat on top of the mount shooting an exposure plan under APT control. I initially had the tablet connected to my laptop via a battery powered router and remote controlling the tablet using Teamviewer to set up the parameters, a lot easier on the laptop screen but not impossiblee on the HP Stream 7. With the EQ3 tracking and DSLR running through an exposure plan under the control of the tablet I disconnected the tablet from the laptop so it was standalone.

Obviously battery life will be significantly increased if the tablet Wifi is turned off but as a rough guide I'm using <15% of the tablet power per 100 exposures (average 30 seconds) with the tablet screen being allowed to power off (this doesn't affect the running programmes)

Next test will be using AstroTortilla to plate solve and move the mount to the target

Astrotilla plate solved a small jpg direct from camera in 7 seconds :) After slewing the camera off target I used the image to get back on target without any issue. This little tablet really does deliver, just a shame it can't be powered from an external source (yet)

Quick question guys...  I'm experimenting with APT on a windows Surface Pro in prep for a trip in a couple of weeks.  While I can scroll around/choose options ok with the touch screen it doesn't seem to have a way of inputting text.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Helen

1 gig of ram might cause you problems. I have 4 gig in mine and after a lot of shots accumulate in BYE it will crash running out of memory. Its the cheapest Asus transformer tablet. But other than that it works fine. I have an argo camera and guider coming into the usb port and so far nary a problem or conflict. I have APT but haven't used it much. It might not use memory the same way BYE does. Before buying the Asus I was using a Archos wintablet. Terribly slow but it would get the photos if you just left it alone and didn't hit buttons when you thought it was locked up. But it was just too much trouble. Wish it had worked I only paid 60 bucks for it. Those tether programs aren't processor intensive. Most of the time they are just sending commands of a few bytes the main processor is hardly involved. No critical timing loops or anything like that so its the lack of memory that will cause you most problems. I was concerned that the single USB port would be overloaded but I put a usb sniffer on mine and the traffic is low so I just got a cheap hub and its working fine.

Griz

Watch out on the msoft tablets. I bought one for the wife. If its the cheap one its running windows rt and you won't be able to just load it up with software that runs on pc's and other tablets. I was very disappointed with it. Doubt APT or BYE would run on them.

Griz

Yes it's important to check that it an Intel processor one and Running Windows 8.1... RT runs on ARM processors and only allows you to install and run apps from the Windows Store...

I have run sequences of 80 images with both the 5D III and 7D II with BYEOS without any problems ...

With the 7D II I have had what appears to be a crash but when the logs were checked  the camera hadn't responded to the request from BYEOS to download the image to the tablet causing a timeout and the plan to stop... 

Peter...

I wonder if the BYE author (Guylain) is aware of the memory leak? No reason why there should be one. Like Pete I've run exposure plans of 80 images without problems and that's with Starry Night Pro Plus 7 loaded in the background and the mount connected

I have my HP Stream 7 running BYEOS  and the 7DII 200/2.8L outside at the moment just a 60 shot plan as a test of how the poor little thing handles the cold... I have a wireless keyboard.trackpad connected as well through a 2 port USB OTG hub and the WI-FI turned off...

Peter...

Archived