Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using cheap Windows tablet with APT?

michaelmorris

Ok went down and came back empty handed... Got a bit more digging to do and questions to ask...

The guy in the store reckoned you have to watch which version on Windows 8.1 is installed on the tablet... They no longer differentiate which version is installed in the system info... The Tech guy reckoned if it's the RT version although you have a "desktop" mode you can't install desktop apps only apps from the appstore...

Time to fire off a few questions...

Peter...

That makes sense, as buying the full version of the operating system alone would be more that the £90 for the tablet. So I can't see how that could do them so cheap with a full version, it sound like the same version that is installed on some of the cheaper Microsoft surface tablets.

I stand corrected, just read your latest posts.....

Oh well may get one myself then

:) :)

SS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes sense, as buying the full version of the operating system alone would be more that the £90 for the tablet. So I can't see how that could do them so cheap with a full version, it sound like the same version that is installed on some of the cheaper Microsoft surface tablets.

It's the full version... well not RT at least and you can happily install apps that run in desktop mode :)

Talking to one of the proper tech guys there he said RT went down like a lead balloon as it limited you to apps from the appstore

I suspect the first salesman was trying to "upgrade" me to the £249 device...

Peter...

It's the full version... well not RT at least and you can happily install apps that run in desktop mode :)

Talking to one of the proper tech guys there he sais RT went down like a lead balloon as it limited you to apps from the appstore

Peter...

Perhaps it is a lite version like they used to put on the windows 7 net books in the early days, so it will run like the full version but they omit all the things that are not really used a lot, like all the language packs, and also a lot of the features that would only be used if it were installed on a desk top. I had it on an old netbook once and there was no option for dual monitor display which I wanted in the obsy, so had to install full version, but these are things that don't matter for your usage.

:) :)

SS

Apart from the crucial stage of not being able to test the cameras because I have mislaid my OTG adaptors  the only issue i have found is using the floating touch screen keyboard with a full screen app like APT takes some getting used to ...

I enabled the on screen keyboard and used this rather than the touch keyboard and it seemed to work much better - easier to move around and has all the keys of a "standard" keyboard

Couldn't wait for the cheap cables and the sales guy in Maplin said I could take it back if it didn't work - So I  picked up the OTG cable from them...

Seems to work  OK ... Haven't tried it on the sky as it's cloudy  but APT is seeing and controlling the camera...

Only think to watch is  make sure you have the tablet in landscape mode and don't rotate the tablet... when you turn it to portrait mode APT goes from fullscreen to a scrollable window which doesn't seem to scroll and stays in this even if you turn the tablet back into Landscape mode...

I wonder if there is a way to turn of auto rotation... time for a bit of  "Googling"

Easy enough

http://www.howtogeek.com/129732/how-to-disable-screen-rotation-in-windows-8/

Using APT to run  a 10x30s 10x60s 10x120s 10x240s plan  with 5s pause between each frame (with Wifi on as well)  used 20% of the battery capacity of the HP stream 7.

Peter...

The Two port OTG USB hubs arrived today so I am able to use the mini Wireless keyboard/trackpad and the camera at the same time making things a lot easier ...

The other thing I bought was a capacitive stylus for those times when I don't want to use the keypad - once I have all the plans etc entered into APT then there is no really need for the keyboard but it's a nice option to have...

Coming together nicely now :)

Peter...

Just though I would provide info on the OTG cables I am using with the HP Stream 7

these are the Cheap 2 port OTG hubs I am using

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121478629450?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and this is the cheap OTG Cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201146399429?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and this looks like the newer version of the Mini wireless keyboard and trackpad  

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cerulian-wireless-mini-keyboard-with-touchpad-n54jn

Peter....

I have just upgraded my BYEOS from 2.0.9 to 3.1.2 Premium (which has 7DII support) and installed that on the HP stream 7 Tablet - only tested indoors because of clouds -  CO said it was going to be clear for a few hours - it lied - Again :(  - BYEOS seems to work fine on the tablet and the UI scales nicely on the small display...

Peter...

I was happy to sacrifice the usability aspects of the OS on the small screen  for compact size...  Yes it is small and without my specs I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing with it...

I also suffer from Fat Finger Syndrome so I bought a Capacitive stylus made typing and selection a lot easier and I have the wireless keyboard and trackpad for the odd occasions that I need to make major changes...

Once you have your plans etc setup then it's only a few clicks  to get things running... 

The 7" was cheap enough to "experiment" with and is ideal if I need to trek any distance with the kit... 

If I need a bigger screen and better battery life I use my Samsung NC10... If I have Mains then it's the laptop...

Peter...

Archived