Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter @ -41c

jetstream

Well ok -29c without the wind.... :grin: Sure glad I'm out on my deck tonight observing and the wind is even co operating, removing the house and chimney thermals away from the scope.

At times this weather can bring excellent planetary views and this night is one of them- so I'm trying a few eyepieces and they are all working well. The main bands are a really rich red color and the caps are showing striations through them. Nice separations showing in the red bands and some loops and hooks poking out of them too. I'll have to check the map and brush up on the names of these features. Whatever the proper names they are a great sight.

The Nagler zoom, with its modest transmission and warm tone is working nicely tonight but it has some pretty stiff competition... the Luminos are not ghosting now, a result of the flocking? they also are working very well tonight.

I was going to go to bed, but Jupiter is still climbing.... :smiley: I better suit up and get back out there! :laugh:

I admire your courage Sir !

As a former Canadian myself, I unfortunatly lost my canadian-fat and cannot withstand temperature below 5°C now...

That's what I call dedication, but when seeing is that good it's well worth  

getting cold for, I love the crisp cold evenings, as long as you put on the

right boots and clothing, all is fine, I must admit we never get temperatures

as low as that, here in the north west of England it's been wet and windy, not

good at all, only a couple of nights for weeks and weeks, I'm hoping for some

of your conditions soon, but not as low as yours, must have been really good,

I am very envious, hope your sky's stay clear, and keep enjoying your observing. 

Thank you Vox! No courage at all, dressing warm really helps as I don't like to be cold. Jupiter has been getting better and better of late, allowing some eyepieces of mine to perform very well, the cold does show up any weal links in the equipment. The Leica Aspheric zoom has been proving frost resistant allowing extended observations, which allows picking out fine detail.

ps  glad you have your weight problem under control :smiley:

When I read @-41 I took it to mean the temperature you had chilled an imager to, not the ambient temperature.

I would rather have your weather than mine at the moment (dull, wet, 100% cloud) and I suppose you don't get dew problems at -29?

Paul

Archived