Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it worth getting a finderscope?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! To be honest if i thought it was just a case of persevering a bit longer with what i have i would probably agree with you (I'm not often keen on spending money I don't have to! ), and if i was in a bit of a darker area I might go with the telrad to help me estimate the distances to hop better. But I've now spent enough time floundering to admit that i probably need a bit of technological help.

I'm happy to deal with the wrong way movement once I'm approximately in the right area, but when i have to do several hops in different directions from any star bright enough to start from in my RDF, i think discretion may be the better part of valour and I'll spend a bit of money to spend more time observing and less time finding.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice!

P.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use a combination of a Telrad and a normal finder scope on the LX90 but on my megrez iv got this really great reflex like finder thats similar to the telrad but without the bulk. its identical to the WO reflex but it was made by Kson

i use a combination of a Telrad and a normal finder scope on the LX90 but on my megrez iv got this really great reflex like finder thats similar to the telrad but without the bulk. its identical to the WO reflex but it was made by Kson

I sold my last Telrad, and it quickly got the chop.

If folk are not afraid to  try something different Check out the  'MiniTel'  #20 in the following thread.

I`m not sure why a Telrad needs/has so much storage space. I could keep my crayons, sweets, a torch and a notepad in there. I bet its been done already? :grin:  :huh:

The RACI should help you, and you seem to have exhausted all the normal modes for operating and searching. 

Its a fact that not everyone is comfortable with standard methods, but I will  always try to encourage folk to endeavour a little longer, before spending unnecessary on equipment that to be honest, they might not need!  Practice makes perfect, but maybe there is a time limit?

Hopefully  a corrected image will be of help. Just remember though, its just the finder-scope your correcting. Your still going to have to move the telescope the 'wrong-way' when looking through the eyepiece?

Much depends on the scope. I have a straight through finder (6x30 that came with the SCT) still mounted. Works well enough at low altitude, but near zenith it is a pain (in the back). The RACI is much more comfortable. It was not a pain on Olly's huge dob, or on my old 6" F/10 newt (10x50 straight through built from old bins) because you do not need to get down on your knees to look through it in either case.  I was quite happy starhopping with inverted images for decades. The main advantage of the 14x70 is doubtless its sheer aperture, but the RACI bit makes life very easy on my lower vertebrae.

Great thread JimmyJazz.

I had similar queries. I was struggling with the finder scope (a straight through) for my SW Explorer 150P. You have to be a contortionist in some instances to see through it!

I don't know why I hadn't thought of a RACI before as I have seen them on various websites. I also think the idea of having a TELRAD type finder is useful too, but will wait till I buy that. I have EP's I want to buy first too!!!

Al

I should probably make it a bit clearer that I'm sure I can cope with the inverted navigation of a straight through type  finder, my main problem at the moment is in being able to see the right stars to be hopping to with my RDF, so I think I need a bigger aperture than my eye to find the fainter stars to start from or navigate through. It seems from the comments above that a finderscope (of some kind) would help me with that, and a RACI would just make it a bit easier still!

Anyway, I'm glad some other folk might find the discussion on this thread useful!

P.

Can I throw a couple more thoughts in?

First. RDFs vary greatly in their quality.

I once used one that had such bad (darkened) glass that It was difficult to see anything dimmer than Jupiter through it.

Another one (Skywatcher) was so bright it was daylight usable. The dimmer did not go far enough - until I modified it.

What I'm saying is that a bad experience with an RDF does not necessarily mean you won't get on with one that is properly built.

Second. Finders are transferrable between scopes.

Once you find a finder type that you like, hang onto it when you swap scopes.

The shoes are generally low cost compared to the scopes so don't worry about selling on an OTA with empty holes.

Just my two pennorth. hope it is useful. David.

• 3 months later...

Save starting a new topic, thought I'd do a search and jump on this one.

My question :-

I have a straight through finder on my 200p, think it's a 6x30. I know a RACI will benefit me but do I really need the 9x50? Can the 6x30 RACI do the job, it's just a matter of magnification right?

No, it's about light grasp as well. A 50mm finder will show fainter stars than a 30mm one. The 200P usually comes with an 8x50 straight through finder.

I have a 8x50 RACI plus a Rigel Quikfinder on my 12" dob. It's proved a combination that can deliver the goods in most situations  :smiley: 

Archived