Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements



Advanced Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

166 Excellent

About Ikonnikov

  • Rank
    Star Forming

Profile Information

  • Location
    West Yorkshire
  1. Show us your one sub images!

    With the state of the weather and speed at which I'm gathering data for this image, a single sub pic seems like a good idea... 30 min Ha (with the E130D and G3-16200 CCD), bias subtraction, defect map, a light stretch and some curves. Some random squiggly bits that normally get sigma clipped out are still lurking in there. Paul
  2. Crescent Nebula

    Very nice, I assume this is with the APM 107?
  3. Atik 490ex mono

    Hi Rodd I had one for a while, it just has power and a USB connector (for the camera interface only) if I remember correctly so the FW would need its own cable(s). The camera its self was good, nice QE and quite low noise although shallow well depth and tiny pixels. Cooling was not overly powerful but -10 Celcius is all that's needed to kill the dark current. I found the ICX694 chip in my subsequent SX camera slightly cleaner than the ICX814 in the 490EX but then it does have slightly larger/fewer pixels. Paul
  4. Flaming Star + Tadpoles in Hydrogen Alpha

    Thanks Sara! Not decided whether to do some oiii or lrgb to go with it but at this rate it's going to be a decision for next winter!
  5. Flaming Star + Tadpoles in Hydrogen Alpha

    No worries, enthusiasm is good! Looking at the two side by side makes me think I might need to bring my black point in a bit more... An excellent attempt for your first NB/Ha image! I have used some star reduction on my image in PI (and a strong dose of deconvolution) so this goes some way to explaining the reduced size/prominence of the stars in addition to the 3nm filter. If you can get your guiding good enough it would definitely be beneficial to up your sub length to 20 min or more with your KAF8300 chip (similar noise levels to the 16200 in my camera). Shouldn't be too hard at this kind of image scale as long as you're confident of getting a good polar alignment. Only other thing is focus (can be a pain with Ha), looks like it could be a tiny bit out (although that could just be the guiding issues increasing the star sizes slightly)? Paul
  6. Imaged with the usual gear (Tak E130D, G3-16200 and chroma Ha 3nm, PI for processing) over four nights but still only 9x30 min due to Yorkshire cloud. A mixture of average and very ropey seeing and a bit of moon thrown in on a few of the subs so not quite so crisp as some of my previous attempts with this kit. Not sure I've rung all I can out of this with the processing but was getting to the point where I found it hard not to blow out the brighter regions of nebula (including the tadpoles). Have avoided the (dreaded?) HDR wavelets so far but might be tempted to blend some into this version (especially if I can get the noise down with some more subs). As ever C and C's welcome! Paul
  7. Borg 55fl

    I do like my E130D although it's been quite a trial to get the collimation, spacing and camera orthogonality right with a bigger chipped CCD, and once you factor in the Tak rings & finder, a decent losmandy plate and cat's-eye tools it's looking closer to £3k... Paul
  8. IC1805, a Bi-colour Heart

    Thanks Graham and Adriano. I've had a quick go at reducing the blue halos with SCNR and clonestamp but I think a complete reprocess and some more/better OIII subs are probably in order to get on top of them.
  9. IC1805, a Bi-colour Heart

    Thanks for the encouraging comments folks, looks like I'm going to have to tackle those halos with processing then (would be interesting to see how much some decent sky transparency would reduce them but it doesn't look like the weather's going to play nice any time soon!). Paul
  10. IC1805, a Bi-colour Heart

    Thanks Richard and Mike!
  11. Wrestling with ngc1333 first lrgb image

    Looks good, dust is very nice. The reflection nebula part is a more intense blue colour in other images I've seen but I suspect it just needs more data to allow you to bring it out (even with the new CMOS technology I guess this this object always want more subs!). Paul
  12. IC1805, a Bi-colour Heart

    Put together with a collection of Ha subs from the last couple of months of varying quality plus some OIII taken on a couple of hazy nights last week. A fairly quick process with a bit of a half-hearted attempt at rescuing the stars at the end. As ever c and c's very welcome! Paul Tak E130D, G3-16200, chroma 3nm filters on Avalon Linear FR. Ha 20x 1800s OIII 9x 1800s
  13. the Digital Age...how is it for you ?

    On a related note this reminded me of the following article: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/crash-how-computers-are-setting-us-up-disaster The gist being 'the paradox of automation' i.e. efficient automated systems (e.g. modern autopilots, nuclear reactor control systems etc) are likely to fail only in extreme circumstances which will accordingly require highly skilled operators to rescue the situation (but the skill of the operators is eroded by their lack of regular input due to high levels of automation). So the more reliable these computerised systems are the more dangerous they can be in the long run unless they are perfect!
  14. M33 with a Nikon D5300

    Looks excellent, keep going with more data if you can! Paul