NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Callisto. - 31/12/2014, C14

Barv

I was pleased to be able to capture this on the night of the 31st. 

Seeing was good but variable and died off a bit when Jove was at it's highest. I'm glad I got out earlier and set up the ADC properly! I knew by the avi's that things were going OK, so I did a separate capture on Callisto. This has been pulled in to enhance the overall image! Probably a little frowned at on here but I personally think it makes things look better! The brighter area on Callisto is the Adlinda region I think?

I've attached a correctly rotated screenshot of Callisto on Sky Safari for comparison.

Thanks for looking

Harvey

post-32779-0-60366800-1420136361.png

post-32779-0-26410800-1420136473.jpg

post-32779-0-02902400-1420136516_thumb.p

That's a cracking shot Harvey, unbelievable detail on that and I like the colours. I think this is one of your best. I quite like seeing the moon as well even if it's not quite in the right position. It was taken on the same night so gives a good perspective of the scale and I think you've got some detail on that too.

Nice capture, but I think you are using a strange sharpening routine. The image almost looks like a water colour. I think you could get a lot more detail out in a more natural way.

Might be worth posting a pre-sharpened image so we can take a look.

regards

Peter

I agree with Peter here.The image has the potential to release a lot more detail I think Harvey. It looks somewhat over processed, I think a less aggressive approach would produce a much finer result. Try with more subtle sharpening routines as I think this would help significantly and would be a good place to start.

Pete

I agree with Peter here.The image has the potential to release a lot more detail I think Harvey. It looks somewhat over processed, I think a less aggressive approach would produce a much finer result. Try with more subtle sharpening routines as I think this would help significantly and would be a good place to start.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I agree with both of you. I frankly sat for hours processing this. You may know what I mean when I say that the longer you do something, things progress and you think you're doing fine, then when you leave your PC and go back to it to it and take a look it looks abismal! Don't know if you've ever done it but I'm sure you didn't get as good as you are without making these mistakes. Frankly I'm embarrassed posting it. Oh well, - I'll try again.

Cheers for your input Pete. It's appreciated. 

Nice capture, but I think you are using a strange sharpening routine. The image almost looks like a water colour. I think you could get a lot more detail out in a more natural way.

Might be worth posting a pre-sharpened image so we can take a look.

regards

Peter

Thanks Peter. I agree. I'll post the file up soon

Thanks Pete.

I agree with both of you. I frankly sat for hours processing this. You may know what I mean when I say that the longer you do something, things progress and you think you're doing fine, then when you leave your PC and go back to it to it and take a look it looks abismal! Don't know if you've ever done it but I'm sure you didn't get as good as you are without making these mistakes. Frankly I'm embarrassed posting it. Oh well, - I'll try again.

Cheers for your input Pete. It's appreciated.

No need to feel embarrassed Harvey, it's easily done and yes after hours sat in front of the monitor our eyes start to loose the ability to see when things are starting to go awry...well mine certainly do!! Have a go at a reprocess and try to resist the temptation to push for detail at the expense of naturalness in the image.

Pete

Just another thought, you may want to try different wavelet schemes in R6. Dyadic and linear give completely different results as do default and gau. I completely change mine between the DMK and ASI so it may be something you want to experiment with before moving onto the further processing. Hope that helps.

Archived