Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sorry for Being Boring

lensman57

Hi,

Taken last night in the full glow of the Moon with a most unsuitable imaging camera under the circumstances, a modded Canon 1100d ( I really was not in the mood for an Ha filter and CCD ). I was in two minds whether I should post it or not but here it is. I kept the main sub exposure to 360s per sub to combat the very strong Moonlight but removing the inevitable gradient and trying for a flat background proved very difficult let alone the colour balance. I have done my best to preserve the delicate dust around the nebula and some structure is evident but ultimately I needed much more data than I have. Anyhow here it is and I hope that you like it.

Canon 1100d Baader modded, Astronomik clip filter. WO Star 71 @ native f4.9 and HEQ5.  22 X 360s subs with 17 X 10s for the core. 101 Bias and 21 Flats but no darks.

Processed in PI and tweaked and resized in PS.

Thanks for looking.

Regards and Happy new Year to all,

A.G

post-28808-0-24382000-1420080596_thumb.p

Looks a pretty good job to me..

This target has always been a bit low for me from the Obsy. After the even wetter than normal summer a couple of years ago, the local woodland took a massive growth spurt & I've lost it for any serious imaging time now.

So... I'm pleased to see it!

Looks a pretty good job to me..

This target has always been a bit low for me from the Obsy. After the even wetter than normal summer a couple of years ago, the local woodland took a massive growth spurt & I've lost it for any serious imaging time now.

So... I'm pleased to see it!

Thank you. M42 is also quite low for me for two reasons , first that I can only image to the south within a 45 degree FOV and even then it has to clear the street lamps and my neighbours roof and shrubs. Secondly it dips to the west behind the tall   trees at the end of the garden and then into the heavy LP zone towards Manchester airport ( I live about 2 miles away ) so I understand what you are saying. The  trees at the back of my garden also have grown so tall that I can not image to the west below 55 degrees of altitude, so 2~2.5 hours of imaging is all that I could get in  one night due south. I was hoping to tackle the Witch head nebula , IC 2118 near Rigel at some stage but it is not looking promising.

Regards,

A.G

Archived