Comet Lovejoy from Australia

Comet 2014/Q2 Lovejoy taken from Siding Springs, Australia using the Tzec Maun Telescope. I only could use 6 x 1 minute of data (I had a bit more, but somehow there were many high clouds I think introducing some heavy gradients). It's one of my first comet images like this, but there is still a lot to learn 

In the upper left M79, a globular cluster in Lepus is visible.

Telescope: FSQ106
Camera: SBIG STL-11000C

post-16343-0-40331500-1419894576_thumb.j

After my image made 2 days ago of C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy from Australia I decided to gather some more data from the background to improve the 'depth' of the image. Therefore I took 300s exposures to get more details and fainter stars in the image. Furthermore I completely reprocessed the comet data to get more details in the tail structure. I'm quite happy with this result. This image was made possible by the Tzec Maun Foundation by giving access to their FSQ106 in Siding Springs, Australia.

In the image comet Lovejoy is shown together with Messier 79, taken on Dec. 29 2014.

Exposure information:

10x300s (background)
6x60s (comet)

FSQ106 - SBIG STL11000c

15545349354_970a619894_o_d.jpg

Archived