NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 SynTrek or Synscan?

t0ny

It likey is worth the extra.

You always will have the synscan to fall back on, and you do not have to take the laptop everytime.

Another factor is if you ever decide to sell the HEQ5 later more people would likely want a synscan then syntrek

Is the £100+ worth it for the Synscan version if I intend on connecting a laptop to it for GOTO? Is the GOTO the only difference?

I've never missed not having a hand controller on my HEQ5. I've only ever used it with a EQMod + computer in my "shed". In that situation, a Synscan doesn't add anything to the operation.

Same here. A Synscan might be useful, though, should your laptop die or otherwise not be available. You could then still use the mount with Synscan controller for observing or for unguided imaging.

Louise

ps you get a polarscope with the syntrek though I've never used mine! I use Astrotortilla for PA :)

I got the syn trek but use the eqmod. the synscan handset looks a nightmare to use and when you've had it in the drawer a few years to fall back on trying to remember how it works put me off so its eqmod for me.

Probably worth it for the resale value plus its always there to use if you need it.  Its not actually that hard to use and it does make for one less piece of kit to lug about.  I have oft times thought of using a laptop but then I consider one more bit of kit to lug about, one more bit of kit that sucks up power etc.

To be honest most people who use EQMod will say no need for a handset (synscan version), but I decided to buy the handset as I wanted a back up in case I got USB problems, and indeed one night I did so i was jolly glad I had the handset.

If you are a whizz with IT and can sort these sort of problems out quickly and know you will always have the laptop with you, then probably no need to get the Synscan version.

Carole 

Thanks everyone. I'm OK with PC's, being a software developer, so I'd be tempted to save the £100 to put towards a new scope.

I have a sw150p on a eq3-2(deluxe) but want to image. I believe the sensible initial upgrade should be the mount so I'm looking at the HEQ5. I have no idea in the best kind if scope, perhaps a sw200pds although so many recommended an ED80. I guess that's phase 2 of my questions!

If everyone only used the handset then the hanset would soon become the source of 90% of all failures on a nights run!

In over seven years of using eqmod my eqdir has never failed me - I made it myself and it is rs232 based not usb. On the other hand over that time i've messed up myself many times.

Whether using EQDIR or synscan, the user is more often than not the cause of 90% of issues.

Chris.

Archived