NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last Christmas pressy has arrived

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got it from Amazon Alan. It's pricey but having had a quick look through it the content looks fabulous. The ring binding is very handy, my only slight reservation is the weight of the paper used. It is lightweight but as said I assume it is treated in a way which makes it dew proof. It seems quite tough anyway.

54bfe273123fc76c95de1cfcf891d8a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the German version from Amazon for £48.87.

I know a smattering of German, so should be ok for me with the help of Google Translater.

Avtar

Is that the Field Version? Very good price if it is

EDIT: looks like the desktop edition, £59.99 for the UK version

993836f9a13f28b345f1bc8b45978340.jpg

Congrats Stu.

Got mine today as well.

So first impression are very good. It is made of a sort of plastic rather than paper so waterproof & presumably tearproof. I like the different shading & boldness of font to distinguish between observable objects for 4" 8" & 12" scopes. In the front pages it assumes you are observing from mag 6.5 skies for the shading to be realistic. The stars go to mag 9.5 & 15mm is 1 degree on the main maps. Has a good few close up pages for galaxy groups at the back. Another neat thing is with double stars. They have a tail pointing in the corresponding P.A. & the length of the tail is a guide to the separation. The boldness of the tail is an indication of the magnitude difference. 

That is expensive, dew proof, for that amount it should be fire proof as well. Thank you for the information but I don't think I need an atlas that much, that's S/H Nagler price almost. I would love to read about how you get on with it at the scope though.

Just getting my learn German in a week book out.

That is expensive, dew proof, for that amount it should be fire proof as well. Thank you for the information but I don't think I need an atlas that much, that's S/H Nagler price almost. I would love to read about how you get on with it at the scope though.

Just getting my learn German in a week book out.

Yes, it's pricey. Present from parents though :-)

The German one is not the field version, it's the desk version so that's why it's so much cheaper.

Will update after I've had a chance to use it but it looks excellent

......and anyway, you don't need any more eyepieces so you need to find another thing to spend the cash on ;-)

That will be nice to see, a sort of try before you buy, it sounds good, as you know your not on your own getting one today. I was maybe a bit harsh, if it is as good as it sounds it only needs buying the once, stars are not going to move much in what's left of my life. The post for me will be a good few quid on top though.

Alan.

Stu, it is the desk edition. Didn't see the English version for £59.99 before.

I have now cancelled the German version and ordered the English version instead.

I keep all my eyepieces, books etc. in the Summer House which is only a couple of metres away from the Telescope so the desk edition is ok for me.

Avtar

Excellent present Stu. I have been looking at this atlas for some months.

I noticed that it was now published by Cambridge so I was going to view it Astrofest in February. From reading the original details the Field Edition has special paper which will not deteriorate from Dew etc

Look forward to your opinion in due course. Currently I use Uranometria as my main atlas but a Field Edition sounds very promising.

Stu best wishes to you and your family for 2015 and I hope we meet up at SGLX

Stu, it is the desk edition. Didn't see the English version for £59.99 before.

I have now cancelled the German version and ordered the English version instead.

I keep all my eyepieces, books etc. in the Summer House which is only a couple of metres away from the Telescope so the desk edition is ok for me.

Avtar

Excellent, glad you were able to make the change, should make life a little easier than German [emoji6]

Excellent present Stu. I have been looking at this atlas for some months.

I noticed that it was now published by Cambridge so I was going to view it Astrofest in February. From reading the original details the Field Edition has special paper which will not deteriorate from Dew etc

Look forward to your opinion in due course. Currently I use Uranometria as my main atlas but a Field Edition sounds very promising.

Stu best wishes to you and your family for 2015 and I hope we meet up at SGLX

Thanks very much Mark, after initial reservations about the paper I now feel very pleased with it. It seems to have loads of detail but still be quite clear to read.

Best wishes to you and yours too Mark, and certainly please do make sure we catch up at SGLX if I don't find you first.

Stu

Congrats Stu.

Got mine today as well.

So first impression are very good. It is made of a sort of plastic rather than paper so waterproof & presumably tearproof. I like the different shading & boldness of font to distinguish between observable objects for 4" 8" & 12" scopes. In the front pages it assumes you are observing from mag 6.5 skies for the shading to be realistic. The stars go to mag 9.5 & 15mm is 1 degree on the main maps. Has a good few close up pages for galaxy groups at the back. Another neat thing is with double stars. They have a tail pointing in the corresponding P.A. & the length of the tail is a guide to the separation. The boldness of the tail is an indication of the magnitude difference.

Thanks Paul.

I do agree that the format is very nice, clear and easy to interpret.

I haven't had too much chance to look at it in detail, but I guess like all these things it will show far more than is actually visible under real world conditions. The good this is though at least there is some scale of visibility which we will be able to calibrate against experience over time.

As you say, nice little touches in there, including symbols to indicate whether a target responds best to UHC, OIII or Hb filters.

Enjoy yours too.

Cheers,

Stu

I think it will be worthy of the expense. I have already checked it's accuracy against my recent 18" dob observing session with poor (mag 5) skies from my local astro club dark site & several of the targets were not seen that it says should be with a 12" with mag 6.5 skies. Also the close ups would have been handy when I was trying to identify the galaxies in Perseus group.  Briiliant aid this will be my most used atlas now. Enjoy yours.

Archived