Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That feels like cheating

Bodkin

Just in from another curtailed (cloudy mid Wales) look through the ten inch.  I would not normally be out and about with the moon in the second quarter, but I wanted to try my new OIII filter; my first ever filter.  So, with the moon in nearby Pisces I thought I would try for the Veil. I didn't expect much but there it was, very clear and even a good bit of structure in the eastern Veil.  No Pickering's Triangle, but nevertheless I am amazed.

Next to M57 which jumped out in a similar manner.  I didn't even bother to look through the Telrad to find M27.  I just aimed the scope in the general direction and buzzed around until it dashed through the eyepiece.  A good amount of structure again.

I had no idea that the impact would be so great .  Hopefully there will be some clear sky later and I can get stuck into Orion and Monoceros. 

You'll have fun on the Veil with the 20 inch dob and OIII! Careful you don't fall off the ladder :laugh:

An OIII makes so much difference on the Veil. I haven't really tried it but I have wondered whether it helps combat moonlight a bit, given that narrowband imaging helps a bit when the moon is out, though more the h-alpha than the OIII from when I dabbled in the dark side.

You'll have fun on the Veil with the 20 inch dob and OIII! Careful you don't fall off the ladder :laugh:

An OIII makes so much difference on the Veil. I haven't really tried it but I have wondered whether it helps combat moonlight a bit, given that narrowband imaging helps a bit when the moon is out, though more the h-alpha than the OIII from when I dabbled in the dark side.

I tried the Veil without the filter and didn't see a thing, so it seemed to take out the moon's glow significantly.  It has certainly opened out my observing schedule - I will be after all sorts of planetary nebulae when the moon is up in future.  

We get NGC 6992 and sweep the arc to NGC 6995 with a UHC filter. It's nicely bright from town. Similarly M27 just glows with a UHC.

I've seen this from a dark site with one end brighter than the other and a cotton wool like appearance.

It's an easy star hop , equidistant from Albireo as far ad M57 (on the other side).

I'm spurred on to try out filters, if we get this persistent cloud out of the way !

Nick.

There are some objects where the difference with a good O-III filter is really substantial and the Veil is one of these. There are others where the O-III and UHC make a more subtle difference and it's interesting to observe such objects with and without the filters I feel.

In general I prefer to observe without a filter but there are a few objects where the difference is that prounounced that it really makes sense to use one.

Tricky find with the moon's light pollution, well done!

The filter under a darker sky will make you gasp. I saw it last Sunday, funnily enough; the Eastern Veil looked like a semicircle of celestial fire. Don't have any wide angle lenses -  just plossls and a 6mm ES eyepiece;  I was switching from the Eastern Veil to the Western...

A dark night with the ten inch will also reveal the filmy centre in M57 and it seems so bright!

Archived