Overwhelmed by dark skies

JazzyF

I used to live on the Mull, I  too remember the darkish skies there, but I did not have any telescopes back then,  just binoculars, but I could still see  some light glow from Campbeltown or across the waters towards NI.

I now   find darker skies  not far from my present address. I draw a rectangle  from Inverness to Aviemore and Lossiemouth to Dufftown, and pick anywhere in between.  Just a wind free night is good for eye observations, Binoculars show more, and my waiting is nearly over for a camp out soon,  it gets well below -10  here at night in the wilds, where I don't see any visual lights for at least 10 miles in any direction, and hill screening hides any distant city glow from the Likes of Inverness 15-20 miles away. Your mind plays tricks though when its this dark?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi don't despair - I built an 8inch reflector when living in Hampstead London where stars were hard to see frankly! - but got good views of the ring Nebula and planets - also if you ever consider astro-photograohy - H alpha filters ignores so much moonlight and light pollution for nebulae that you are not held back - best wishes Tony

photo-4165.gif?_r=0 Posted by bish on 06 December 2014 - 08:24 AM in Welcome

Yes it's funny. You would think that the darker the sky the easier it would be to find your way around. Takes me a while to adjust when I go to Kielder and feel like I'm starting all over again.

Lucky you're not there now, the sign says "To Kielder Obsevratory" they got "weather bombed" :)

Dave

post-21198-0-04850900-1418319698.jpg

Archived