Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for beta testers of new Polar Alignment utility.

themos

Installing it in the c:\users\lappy has solved that and the api goes in fine, be aware that if you cut and paste the api text off astrometery.net via a click selection of the text it adds a space on the end

Edited by Earl

I get the bit about taking the portrait and landscape images, but how accurate do you need to be? Do have to make sure that the portrait image is exactly 90 degrees?

The portrait doesn't matter, any large angle will do. The errors (Up Down Left Right) I display, as well as the annotated image, only make sense if the landscape image is horizontal. But  don't sweat it too much, you will do a small correction and check again.

Hi Themos,

Have installed python and PPA and like Earl had the same issue with saving the api key.  Though thanks to Earl breaking the ground first I moved it from the defaulted directory (C:\Program Files (x86)) to my user directory and it was then accepted OK.

Loaded and solved the example images (h.jpg first then v.jpg) and finally the i.jpg and did the Find Polar Axis and then the Show Improvement. All worked as per your instructions.

I presume we would only iterate through the improvement (i.jpg) image(s) as we adjust and get better aligned.

Also, noted that the test images are shown as solved (in green) when re-doing the test after closing and restarting due to the saved wcs files. Would suggest a button for reset which deletes the wcs files in case people use the same names for each image - would make an interesting adjustment if they used the wrong ones I'd expect.

My next task is deciding which camera to use if we get a clear night.

So good work thus far.

PS Earl your api key is visible if that is a concern

PPS As a new purchaser of Astroart5 I too would be interested in using it for solving as well.

Edited by StevieDvd

Thanks Stevie,

I should change the default directory of the installer, it seems. 

On the issue of persistent .wcs files, I'd rather keep things as they are but add a timestamp check on files to make sure that .wcs file is newer than the image file. At the moment, you can press the "Find Polar Axis" button at any time and it will do nothing if there are no .wcs files. I will add some logic to disable the button if there seems to be anything wrong with the .wcs file. 

Re: AstroArt, you should try saving a JPEG version and then solving the image and saving the solved FITS file as a .wcs file, just as if it had come from nova. And it should magically work.

Themos

• Like 1

Hello,

if you would like to volunteer to try out a new Polar Alignment method, please let me know. The requirements are:

• You can see the Polaris/NCP region from where you usually set up. (South hemisphere? get in touch!)
  • You can attach a camera to the mount and bring the JPEG image files to your computer.
  • You can freely rotate the RA axis (this excludes AstroTrac mounts and similar, I think).
  • You have Internet connectivity.
  • You can run Python on your computer (e.g. Anaconda for Windows, Linux, MacOS X)

You might be able to verify your Polar Alignment within 2-3 minutes. The software will be in the public domain.

Regards

Themos Tsikas

Not if you have got the AstroTrac head (or similar). It has RA and DEC "controls"...I would be interested in people in the southern hemisphere trying this out...preferably before March next year :wink:

Here's a successful result from a light polluted southern hemisphere site. Obviously the alpha and lambda circles are meaningless but the pole position is correct.

The Tk image viewer doesn't show the long thin image so I've shown it with a third party viewer. I've also duplicated your circles in CdC for reference.

None of the stars in the original frame (40mm lens on a 70D) were visible with the naked eye. This looks like a very useful tool. Thanks.

Steve.

post-8197-0-93542800-1417129876_thumb.jp

Looking good for tonight...fingers crossed. 

Will report back.

The installation all went fine with one minor hiccup.

I installed to c:/users/lappy as instructed.

My system didn't know what to do with the ppa.py. I had to tell it what to open it with. No biggie at all, I just pointed it to the anaconda folder on c: and clicked the python 64 executable.
I did not have the extra space included when I copied and pasted my API key. 

Ran through the supplied images absolutely fine.

Loooking forward to trying it for real tonight.

Hello, 

here is an update, it mostly fixes Southern Hemisphere  issues and might be more forgiving in installation.

Hi Themos I have installed your latest version  but just cannot get it to solve an image :(

I have tried installing it on my F: drive and now in my user directory  but the results are the same.  Running on Windows 8.1.  Any ideas where the problem lies?  My API key has been successfully installed.  copy of command window for a portrait solve attempt is below..

TIA

Andy

{'parity': None, 'scale_est': None, 'myjobs': None, 'center_dec': None, 'scale_lower': None, 'radius': None, 'center_ra': None, 'scale_units

': None, 'wcs': u'C:/Users/Andrew/PPA/photopolaralign/v.wcs', 'allow_mod': 'd', 'job_id': None, 'downsample_factor': None, 'public': 'y', 'g

alex_wcs': None, 'kmz': None, 'scale_err': None, 'sdss_wcs': None, 'allow_commercial': 'd', 'scale_upper': None, 'crpix_center': None, 'uplo

ad_url': None, 'wait': None, 'apikey': 'zpbpcsncblmwxgkv', 'sub_id': None, 'tweak_order': None, 'upload': u'C:/Users/Andrew/PPA/photopolaral

ign/v.jpg', 'server': 'http://nova.astrometry.net/api/' 'jobs_by_exact_tag': None, 'jobs_by_tag': None}

Exception in Tkinter callback

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Python27\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1486, in __call__

return self.func(*args)

File "C:\Users\Andrew\PPA\photopolaralign\PPA.py", line 702, in solve_v

img2wcs(self, self.apikey.get(), self.vimg_fn, self.vwcs_fn, "v")

File "C:\Users\Andrew\PPA\photopolaralign\PPA.py", line 355, in img2wcs

clnt.login(opt.apikey)

File "C:\Users\Andrew\PPA\photopolaralign\PPA.py", line 156, in login

result = self.send_request('login', args)

File "C:\Users\Andrew\PPA\photopolaralign\PPA.py", line 71, in send_request

json = python2json(args)

File "C:\Users\Andrew\PPA\photopolaralign\PPA.py", line 35, in python2json

import ujson

ImportError: No module named ujson