NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storm Damage

Gina

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it was stormy indeed last night, with a bit of lightning for added effect, but I think we missed the worst of it; no damage done.  More winter weather on its way  -  snow apparently, but hopefully not as windy.

Jim

Weather was bad up this way adn seems to be settling now,  very high gusts of wind which were worrying in the early hours last night and the night before.  Damage seems to have been very localised so not everyone experienced the bomb.   My 4 turnbuckles seems to have done the job but I recon belt and braces is best practice.

Mark

I don't know what's worse about this hobby, the endless cloudy nights where you can't see a single star or the windy nights where you hope your kit will still be there in the morning. I guess the single clear night where you can share a view of Saturn or Jupiter's moons make up for all the frustration and worry.   Fingers crossed Gina, hope you find nothing more than an upturned  flower pot in the morning.  I'm keeping my storm ties on for the next few days until we are in more settled weather.

Jim

• 11 months later...

Although this thread is a year old I'm still grateful to Gina for posting

Following this thread when I had just built my Obsy made me add additional tie downs to the roof

With these strong winds blowing in from the current direction my roof is a prime candidate to "take off"

Using 4 large trailer latches with locking pins as the norm I have also added 4 turnbuckles for the periods when I'm not at home or not using the Obsy for a few days.

Outside checking this morning I can feel the wind getting under the roof but all is locked down tight so far.

As an extra completely over the top in case of hurricane / tornado mode I also have 2 steel cables that can be hooked onto the pier and tightened as a last resort. My thinking is the wind will have to tear the pier and foundation out of the ground before the steel cables part as they are rated at 4 tons each.

Again thanks Gina for the original post warning us of this potential disaster.

Gareth.

What happened to looking at deflectors that took the strength or of the strong lift forces? Rather than fighting the lift which goes into tons but weakening the lift mechanism if possible.

Deflectors along the ridge to break the flow of air that generated the lift ?  I still think that is potentially an excellent idea.

Mark

Archived