NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storm Damage

Gina

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gina thanks for posting the update on the latches, they definitely look the business.  I looked at the company's web site and the price was higher than they were selling on their ebay site (£36 inc VAT) then delivery cost on top of that :eek:   I haven't used ebay before but with such a difference in price  I guess there has to be a first time for everything.  I'm going to go with two latches on one side of the roof and maybe two cheaper hasps on the other side. Ideally I'd like to use two on either side as well but that will just need to wait funds.  Definitely a good find Gina, thanks for that.

Watch out for the wind chill, especially if you are working out there on your own.  Surprising how quickly it can catch you out.

Jim

Thank you Jim :)  I'm not going to be spending much time outdoors in this weather :D

I can recommend ebay - i've bought dozens, maybe even hundreds of items from them with no problem.  Very good for components and hardware - I get all my nuts, bolts and washers from them.  They aren't always the cheapest though.  Sometimes I've found Amazon cheaper - also a company giving very good service I have found :)

Just an update to say that my latches arrived - the heavy duty ones Gina found.  At £26 for each latch they are expensive but worth every penny; these are seriously robust pieces of kit.  I had ordered 2 but will definitely be going back for another set - maybe drop some hints to Santa. :smiley:

I did some more work on my roof at the weekend - lovely clear day on Sunday.  Mainly strengthening and adding tie rods to the roof to stop it sagging.  I've decided to bite the bullet and add a third rail, it will hopefully reduce the flexing.  The middle rail will need to be removable on the inside section- it can be removed once the roof has been rolled back.  I'm really looking forward to getting the latches on - fed up having to screw and unscrew the roof each time. Thanks again Gina these latches really are the business.

Jim

Roof rail arrangement

The bolts came this morning :)  Now I just need some dry weather :D  Many of the bolts need putting in from the outside as they go all the way through the weather boarding and framework to provide a secure fixing.

The bolts came this morning :)  Now I just need some dry weather :D  Many of the bolts need putting in from the outside as they go all the way through the weather boarding and framework to provide a secure fixing.

Stainless steel coach screws of the right length would work, right size pilot hole and all done from inside..??

Stainless steel coach screws of the right length would work, right size pilot hole and all done from inside..??

You're probably right but I guess I just prefer bolts :D  And yes, stainless steel :)

Decided you're right :)  Screws would be better - no puncturing of the cladding or vapour barrier as well as inside work only.  So I've ordered some M8x70mm A2 SS from ABolt on ebay - 10 for £4.90 inc. 1st class post - delivery estimate Friday :)  I've used that company before and found them fine :)

One toggle latch fitted :)  Roof "ain't going nowhere" unless it gets totally demolished!! :D  I was hoping to get the latch plate between the nuts of the main roof structure but it's too wide.  Still I think it's pretty secure.  As can be seen, the main roof framework is really solid and all parts are bolted together - no wood screws to pull out :)  I guess the integrity of the roof was proved when it came off the first time, flew at least 20ft up in the air (I saw it) and landed 20 odd yards away on the boundary fence! :D

post-13131-0-79853900-1417356257_thumb.j

Gina that will give you some much needed and well earned peace of mind.  What's your plan for positioning of the other latch - are you going for an opposite or adjacent face?  I must admit I was all set for just screwing my latches in but after reading about your use of bolts I'm having second thoughts.  We had a lovely day here today nice and sunny not a cloud in the sky - perfect for obsy building. Too much school prep work though so I could only look longingly at it from my desk. :cry:   I did sneak out though to for a trial position of my latches.  I know what you mean, the bracket mounting plates are quite wide - good for load bearing - potentially tricky for fitting.   I'm going to need some additional studding, was planning on that to tie in the walls anyway, so I should be able to find a suitable mounting point.  

I'm really struggling to get time working on the obsy  - the daylight goes so quickly.  The real problem I guess is that I'm too lazy to get up early at the weekend :tongue:   We finish for the Christmas holidays on 19 Dec so I'm planning to blitz the roof in the few days before Christmas; install the third rail, roof latches, and remaining strengthening studding.  That's the plan anyway, weather permitting.   Having now seen the quality of the latches I've bitten the bullet - a request will be going up the chimney in my letter to Father Christmas for another two :laugh: .  Lol, in your wildest childhood Christmas dreams did you ever think you would get excited at the prospects of latches :p

Jim

I don't think you need to go to all that trouble.  With my own observatory I used "pin and hole" brackets, one in each corner.  These slide into and out of engagement when the roof opens and closes.  A simple bolt keeps the roof from sliding when I don't want it to and the whole structure is effectively locked into one solid piece.  it has survived 50+mph winds with no worries.  I did machine them on my lathe but they could easily be made from commercial bolts/studding and steel flat - mine is 6mm x 50mm and the pins are 1/2 " (I love mixing units!!)

post-4502-0-96868400-1417372294.jpg  post-4502-0-29736200-1417372295.jpg

post-4502-0-57613700-1417372295.jpg  post-4502-0-95613300-1417372295.jpg

post-4502-0-34058500-1417372296.jpg  post-4502-0-73055900-1417372296.jpg

Thank you for all your replies :)

In this last incident, the problem was that the restraining (anti roll back) bolt system didn't hold and the roof slid back out of lock.  I DO have pins and holes/eyes to stop the roof lifting when fully closed.

Here's an example - one of the corners.  Part of a farm gate latch provides the 12mm pin, fixed through the western roof frame timber, and a 10mm eye bolt fixed into the dividing wall framework, provides the mating part.  More info in one of my observatory build threads :D

post-13131-0-16088600-1417432376_thumb.jpost-13131-0-70057100-1417432382_thumb.j

Outside view with the roof open.

post-13131-0-76071700-1417432391_thumb.j

Roof holding down toggle latches now both fitted :)  Accuse me of over-engineering or going way over the top if you like but my observatory roof is NOT lifting off or even moving from a storm or hurrican!  So there :D  And if it want's to do anything it will either have to destroy some heavy duty woodwork or lift not only the heavy wooden base but also around a tonne of concrete in the form of six blocks attached to the main uprights of the framework.  This is no lightweight garden shed!! :D

post-13131-0-60045800-1417869345_thumb.jpost-13131-0-93575000-1417869350_thumb.j

Gina, looking good. If a hurricane hits Devon I won't be surprised if your observatory is the only building to keep its roof on. :smiley:   

If the weather forecast is anything to go by then snow will be upon us this week coming - oh the joys of the British weather.

Jim

Sitting here waiting for the ominously named "weather bomb" to arrive.  It is already very windy now and it hasn't yet reached us yet! They are forecasting 70-80mph winds to the North Scotland, 60-70mph here in Fife.  Just shows you how timely this thread has been.  So what with my own roof still under construction I thought some extra tie down strapping was in order.  I popped into the hardware store on route home from work and picked up some builders bar to better tie the roof to the walls.  I think it is now as secure as it is going to be.  It's going to be a restless night - see you on the other side!

Jim

Weather Bomb  -  courtesy BBC http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79604000/jpg/_79604217_swell.jpg

Weather Bomb Emergency Roof Tie 9 Dec 2014

Weather Bomb Emergency Roof Tie 9 Dec 2014

Archived