Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

i'm new too! :D

katy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Katy,

Don't be put off by Rich's estimate of £895! (Sorry Rich but she said she was a student!)

You can get great starter scopes for MUCH less than that.

Scopes don't tend to deteriorate with age much so shop around for a second hand one.

Personally I'd recommend a dobsonian type as you'll get the most apperture for least cost and the simple design allows you to start observing with a shorter learning curve than with an equatorial mount.

You could pick up a medium sized dobsonian (8") second hand for less than 200 quid or less for a smaller apperture. I wouldn't recommend going below 6" though.

All the best.

Paul

thanks! i have to admit that price does sound a lot better! :wink:

Hi Katy :wink: welcome to SGL. One of the cheapest and easiest options is to get a pair of Binoculars. You'd be surprised how much more you can see than just using your eyes alone. I think the general accepted minimum size is a 7x35 pair, but something like a pair of 10x50 (First number is magnification, second is the size of the objective lens in mm) are great. They also help with learning your way around the sky. I think it's true to say, that virtually everyone here has at least one pair. Have a look at Stargazing with Binoculars at the library as it's got a good section on how to choose a pair.

thanks for replying :) i'm definitely going to get myself some binoculars, at least for the time being anyway. :) x

Katy

Welcome to SGL. Spotted your message while waiting for the Space Shuttle to launch.

The suggestion on joining an AS is something to think about. The Leeds AS (http://www.leedsastronomy.org.uk/) is a good one - the Astrofest each November is well worth going to. Not too sure how many women are members. Bradford AS (http://www.bradfordastronomy.co.uk/) is another good one (was a member before moving to Scotland) - they have 4 or 5 women members.

Never be shy to ask questions - it is the only way to learn. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question just stupid answers.

Scotastro

Katy there is also Batley and Spen AS Batley park the Obvservatory is next tp Bagshaw Museum

Hi Katy, and a big warm welcome from us here at SGL :hello1:

For your needs at the moment in regards to scope and mounts Etc. read through some of the

threads on this forum, and you won't go far wrong! A budget of between £200 and £300, will get you

a darn good scope that will give you views of some things that you never thought possible!

My scope is at the smaller end of the aperture scale for Reflectors, 114mm (4.5") and i have seen

some wonderful things out there, Saturn and it's moons, The Nebulae of Orion, The seven Sisters.........

So a scope with a tad larger Aperture, (Min 6") will put a smile on your face, I Promise! :wink: :wave: :)

Good luck......

Nick....

Can I suggest that you start a thread in one of the Equipment sections for this to continue. A wider variety of members will pick up on your question there and offer help.

This is after all a thread to say "Hi"

Cheers

Ant

hi katy

welcome. you can get a skywatcher 130pm newtonion reflector on a motorised equatorial mount for around £150 ive got one and ive seen some great lunar views, saturn can be seen rings and all, google skywatcher telescopes and see what you think gud luk

Roger. :wink:

Can I suggest that you start a thread in one of the Equipment sections for this to continue. A wider variety of members will pick up on your question there and offer help.

This is after all a thread to say "Hi"

Cheers

Ant

sorry! :wink:

Archived