Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Binoculars?

Hi everyone,

I struggle with light pollution and it can be difficult to then locate objects in the night sky. I don't have a fancy goto mount for my telescope so it's good old fashioned manual 'labor' when it comes to finding things. I thought a good set of binoculars may help me to locate objects such as the Andromeda Galaxy before setting my scope up. 

I've been looking at the Celestron 15x70 and 25x70 on amazon as they are within my budget and seem to have a pretty good aperture/optics.

However, will these be to heavy for the job I want them for (Scanning the sky for objects) as I probably wont be putting them on a tripod. If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what binoculars would be most suitable. Don't want to spend much more than £50-75.

Thanks

Rob

Just get a set of 8x42's.

They are intended for just looking and are light enough to give no problem hand holding them. At 15x and 25x the image will jump around too much to be of any use, especially at 25x.

Hi Rob, I would suggest that the Celestron 15x70 will be most suited for this task, as they will be manageable to hand hold for short periods, longer if you can steady yourself against a wall or sit in a chair. The 25x70 will I expect  become a bit too heavy.

Comparing the two (Celestron 15x70 and 25x70) it says they both weigh the same at 1.5kg each? With this in mind would it be a safe bet to go with the 15x70 because I'm concerned that the image is going to be a bit shaky as mentioned by ronin? 

An alternative on amazon is the Nikon Aculon 8x42

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

I just bought a pair of Cometron (Celestron) 12x70s off of Amazon and must say they are an excellent pair so far. I've only had them for one night but I'm quite pleased with them. They don't seem as a heavy as one would think and I use an old swivel mop head to steady them. In the US they're listed @$49.95.

Hi Rob

If you're wanting them for scanning for objects prior to finding them in your scope, maybe the 15x70's are a bit much, like others have said maybe 8x40mm or 10x50mm would be better for that purpose. Not to say if you want 15x70mm, they couldn't be used that way though. In fact, 15x70mm could be used as an instrument in their own right for good low power scanning for clusters and starfields.

Have a look at this site for LOTS of useful advice and recommendations on various binoculars and mounting options...

http://www.binocularsky.com/

...The Binocular Sky site is very useful to know about.

What scope do you have, by the way?

Mark

8x mag no more.  Otherwise like has been said it'll just be irritating to get clear enough images to appreciate, and while this may slightly help in finding some faint fuzzies it'll drive you insane.  If you mount them then any size will do.  Celestron makes a 15x100 that is super light, the optics are kinda stinky, but they are SUPER light for their ap which makes them ALMOST manageable.  I never could get focus pleasing on the pair (actually two) have had. 

Plus if you get a lower mag like 8x they will be quite fun for birding etc, so consider coated for stars, low mag for holding, and you'll have a pair to take anywhere.  Orion tends to have decent stuff for sensible prices.  Otherwise expect $200 for a pair to start.  Have fun none the less, that is why you are getting them:)

Yes, for scanning by hand I'd also endorse the 8x42 or similar. 15x is not a hand holding magnification. Nobody in the birding world would go anywhere near that. I do use larger bins but on a tripod and not in the same spirit of taking in broad sweeps. For this I want the widest possible field of view for orientation purposes. 

Porro prisms are cheaper to make so, when on a budget, go for these. Only go for roof prisms on more costly bins. I also think budget bins should only be be bought from good suppliers who will accept returns without fuss. There is a huge variation in QC affecting cheper bins.

Olly

I agree with previous posters that for scanning and sweeping purposes what you need are binos with a wide field of view,that are easily hand held.8X40,7 or 10x50 would be ideal,anything bigger are really best mounted.From experience,I can recommend Olympus DPS1 10x50,which are readily available via Amazon.* other Bino's are available :smiley: 

Hi Rob

If you're wanting them for scanning for objects prior to finding them in your scope, maybe the 15x70's are a bit much, like others have said maybe 8x40mm or 10x50mm would be better for that purpose. Not to say if you want 15x70mm, they couldn't be used that way though. In fact, 15x70mm could be used as an instrument in their own right for good low power scanning for clusters and starfields.

Have a look at this site for LOTS of useful advice and recommendations on various binoculars and mounting options...

http://www.binocularsky.com/

...The Binocular Sky site is very useful to know about.

What scope do you have, by the way?

Mark

Great advice,

Thanks Mark. The website was very helpful. Think I'm going to get a pair of 10x50's. Not sure what brand though. I'am a beginner at all of this and use a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ MD and my Canon 40D to capture images. I'm really enjoying learning how to improve what I've got to achieve better images but realise there are multiple limitations along the way. Hope the binoculars will help me locate things in the sky to encourage me to continue with my current scope as at the moment there is little chance of an upgrade.

Thanks

Rob 

Just checked Amazon.Olympus DPS1's now £60.96!  They were £53 only a month or two back,and I paid £47 for mine.  :eek:

Hi,

I have been looking at the Olympus 10x50 DPS 1's. Perhaps I'll wait for the price to come down a little. How do you find them?

Rob

Hi,

I have been looking at the Olympus 10x50 DPS 1's. Perhaps I'll wait for the price to come down a little. How do you find them?

Rob

I bought mine after reading a recommendation by Damo 636, here,and also on Steve Tonkin's 'Binocular Sky' site. I'd certainly suggest that you have a look at Steve's site,if you haven't already done so.He has plenty of suggestions for bins for different pockets,and a binocular shop,in conjunction with Amazon.   Personally,I find the DPS1's to be well worth the money that I paid for them,and I'm happy with the views that they provide me with.Having said that,the only comparisons that I had when I bought them were my thirty plus year old 10x50's from Dixons!  Another thought-check out 'FLO' for a wide range of bins- I got my Helios Apollos from them last week within 24 hours of placing my order- Great service! :smiley:

• 1 month later...

Hello Rob,

I would also suggest the Celestron 15x70's and you should buy a decent tripod. They can get heavy after awhile, they do give good views for binoculars that are not too expensive. I have several pairs of Binoculars. One of the bino's I have are the Orion 15x70 Resolux brand. If you are in the market and able to spend some money on a good pair of bino's with great optics, I would recommend these.

They are heavy so you will need a good tripod set-up to support them. These bino's give excellent views and will last you a lifetime.

I also have a pair of Celestron 12x60's. The bino's are not expensive and not heavy. I have  had mine for about 3 years now. I have been able to find and see m81 & m82. These bino's have some nice views and are great for clusters, Orion m42  and looking at Jupiter. They also perform well in the daytime.

I have a Old pair of 7 x 50s that are light, have a large FOV, good optics and easy to use - Superb point and find.

i have had them so long that you can barely make out the manufacturers "Optical & Film Co - USA"

I also have a 25 year old pair of TASCO 10 x 50s but the things are now misaligned and give double images, so........

I tried to order a set of 12 x 70 Celestrons at £68 but Amazon would not deliver them to uk.

I then lost my rag with both companies at the same time and have ordered a set of Revelation 15x70s from

Telescope house for £50.00 including £2.50. p and p.

I do a lot of running down to the beach to look for low objects (DSOs Comets, Inferior Planets etc) and my little reflector

can be a bit of a pain to point and hold (right angle) without the tripod. 

Anyway, I want something new, and I only had 50 quid........so there.

I'm pretty exited waiting for them now by the way, better than Christmas.

Mick.

I find x10 (10x50)s an easy hand hold, anything more is a pain in the arm for me. They are also really useful as a take em on holiday bins for summer holidays down in greek Islands .

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

After reading some books, websites etc, I finished buying a 10x50 binocular. I went to the astronomy store and I tried many, looking for a.- Optics ( collimation, FULLY Multicoated, no internal reflexes and no sign of damage), portability (water proof, standard adaptor for tripod or monopod), and good reviews in the internet. Between some Celestron, Minolta, Nikkon that I tried, the bright image and good sensation the Bushnell Legacy gave me, plus good reviews and in the budget ( more or less 110 USD) won my attention. I'm really pleased with them, I suggest you try them out if you find it

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for every ones help on here. I opted for the Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 and got them for a great price on amazon.

So far they have helped me to scan the sky with ease before carting the scope out. Some nights just using the bins has satisfied my needs. :-)

Also managed to locate Lovejoy, albeit a bit of a fuzzy blur. Would love to image it but doubt my set up would cope.

Can highly recommend 10x50 bins for the amateur alike.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Also should add I had 25x70's for about 5 minutes before I boxed them up and returned them. Worthless. Could barely find the moon in the field of view (as a beginner myself). I got my wife 8x42's with a 8 degree field of view, and they are very nice, and I paid about $25 for them. My Pentaxes are on another level, and are amazing, but have a 5 degree field, which is still pretty good. I recommend attaching them to a monopod/pistol grip for laying in a chair or something, makes them much more useful. 

Archived