NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair astro 6" f6 ?

Has any one got this 6" f6 newtonian, if so what is the opinion on this, having just stumbled on it im thinking its a great optical configuration for a person like me that does mainly Solar system, but as its shorter than say the 150 pl it would be less demanding on a mount, with its focal length it should give nice size DSLR images 

Good or bad lets have you take on this newt

funny how Moonshane is getting all fracked up, and im getting into newts :grin:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. I have actually got more fracs than newts at the minute! although two will be joined together soon to become a pst mod so equality will be testored.

Shane, as a newt man, whats your take on the 150 f6 for mainly solar system and a little bit of DSO compared to the currant 150 f5, seems a good optical configuration for my needs, this has all come about from looking at the moon with the 114 f7.8, i was amazed at how sharp the Luna detail was 

Also do newts work well enough with a white light filter for solar

Well, there is the OO VX6L - but it might cost a few extra ££.

Guy (Coco) has just got the f5 6" from them, but is still awaiting first light. Would be interesting to see if fancy mirrors make any difference for some of the finer detailed DSO objects, but from what Ive read its of more use for planetary work. 

personally I prefer planetary and luna through all my newts compared with any I have ever had through a frac. the one slight exception is my Vixen 80mm f11 which is nice on the moon but still not a patch even on a decent f5 6" newt.

I would think a lowly 6" f8 skywatcher dob would be a good buy especially used. when we next meet I will set up my 6" f11 dob on the moon.

a 6" f5 or f6-11 gives lovely white light solar film views.

ps remember the planetary views through mjr toms 6" newt? that was f5.

Yes, i do remember the view of Jupiter with the 6" OO suitcase dob, very detailed and sharp

My line of thinking is to get the GSO (Altair) 150 f6, sell the Mak and the 150p ds, thought the Mak is 1800 focal length, the newt would give that with a barlow for planetary and Luna imaging with webcam, at f6 the newt would still be fair on some DSO`s, here is a question, i have experienced difraction spikes on Jupiter with my p ds, is this due to viewing on axis, if i were to work of axis would this get rid of the spikes

if I were you Jules I would do nothing yet. eat until early next year and we can compare my 12" dob, 6" dob to your 6" newt and your mak. if imaging moon and planets and for general visual maybe a 8" f5 newt would be best (with barlow for imaging).

re diffraction spikes, this is a symptom of smaller mirrors on Jupiter. in my experience 6" newts show it a lot but 12" or more hardly at all.

I think I'd go for an F/8 if I was thinking about a 6" newt for planetary / lunar viewing. My first proper scope was the Astro Systems 6" F/6 that Peter refers too though and that was a very good all round scope.

Ade Ashford gave the Skywatcher 150PL a decent review:

http://www.nightskies.net/scopetest/scopes/explorer/150PL.html

If you get a tube from the SW 150 dob you get a 2" focuser too.

The wind is the problem with long Newts, that silly 114 900 on the skytee wobbled a lot and its windy up here a lot of the time, we are very high up in this place, this is why i was thinking f6 as a good compromise, if only i could get a 7" f6, that would be perfect

If you are thinking of a planetary newt I would buy the best mirror set I could afford. For me that means a 1/10 PV Orion Optic. The new mirror cells are to die for. Only need collimating a couple of times a year tops. Mine is fl6 and provides excellent planetary views, I would never sell it.

I think I'd go for an F/8 if I was thinking about a 6" newt for planetary / lunar viewing. My first proper scope was the Astro Systems 6" F/6 that Peter refers too though and that was a very good all round scope.

Ade Ashford gave the Skywatcher 150PL a decent review:

http://www.nightskies.net/scopetest/scopes/explorer/150PL.html

If you get a tube from the SW 150 dob you get a 2" focuser too.

I have to fess up, i toyed with the notion of getting a 150pl and swapping the focuser from my 150p ds to give me a 150pl with 2" dual crayford but again its the long tube length

If you are thinking of a planetary newt I would buy the best mirror set I could afford. For me that means a 1/10 PV Orion Optic. The new mirror cells are to die for. Only need collimating a couple of times a year tops. Mine is fl6 and provides excellent planetary views, I would never sell it.

If i had to get an OO, it would be used not new, and the VX6L is 1200 so just as long as the 150pl

Archived