Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Oiii filter ????

astronymonkey

I have a lumicon oiii and it's excellent. Use it on a variety of targets most nights (not just the veil) all year round and because of this I think it's money well spent. It was very good in my old 16" lightbridge amazing in the 22" now.

Alan and I did a comparison between the lumicon and orion oiii a few months back. There wasn't a staggering difference between the two but it was noticeable which was which. Like all these things the margins are not massive but they are there.

One thing I would say is that quality control at Lumicon is second to none. With the cheaper brands I think the quality can vary from filter to filter. You might get lucky and get a good one, you might not.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is. I still haven't recovered, or stopped telling people about it, since two weeks ago. :D

I've looked through a 20" scope just once, a few years back at the SGL star party. I observed M13 and M51 and the view is still etched on my memory  :smiley: 

I am hoping that the veil is still well placed when the 18 inch comes from Holland, I don't suppose it is as good as a 20 inch scope but I imagine from my site with the lack of LP it will be be a nice sight. I think I may miss the seeing all of it at once though, still you can't have everything.

I hope I don't catch aperture fever after seeing what this delivers, if so where do you next, 24 inches, the mirror is only 5 grand :grin: .

Alan

Personally Ian, I would get the one that suits what you are willing to pay. There is little doubt that the Astronomik/Lumicons are the top of the heap, but the differences are not easily seen and make little real difference, when costs are considered. Having looked through a Lumicon, would I change my Orion 0III? Nope, not even if I had the funds spare.

The green cast is there in all makes, no avoiding that I'm afraid.

In all honesty I bought my Astronomik O-III because one happened to came up at a good price. If it had been a Lumicon I'd have bought that instead quite happilly. I don't think you can have a filter that does what an O-III does (or an H-Beta or even a UHC for that matter) and not have some change in tone involved. These filters are chopping out all sorts of wavelengths of light and are bound to have some affect - thats the price for enhancing the contrast of the nebulosity perhaps ?

Hi alan,

Ive looked at the light curves and the Oiii line is in the midle of the green wavelengths so I suppose the colour cast is inevitable. Witht he UHC it does have a different transmission profile so I suppose the colour cast would be less of a true green than in an oiii.

Im off to Galloway in a couple of weeks so I dont have too long to make up my mind so Im going to have to look at my bank account and decide what to go for.

I also have a battery and some adjustable feet to level the base on my shopping list so the Oiii isnt the only thing im going to be spending money on !

cheers,

Ian

I also have a battery and some adjustable feet to level the base on my shopping list so the Oiii isnt the only thing im going to be spending money on !

I think I need some sleep. I was just trying to work out why you need to level the base of your shopping list...

Archived