Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Push to conversion on cheap

Ok so before I go any further this isn't a new idea, I am simply sharing the conversion I did on my Optocstar frac mounted on an EQ3 mount. The scope is already fitted with an excellent corrected (illuminated) view finder so the idea with this was to get you in the vicinity quicker and then home in with the finder/scope. Someone does tell me that the app I am using (GoSkyWatch) for the iphone is very accurate indeed but I have yet to confirm this but one of the very good things of the app is it gives you a illustration of the object you are looking for before you select the goto (push to) function which is helpful if like me you forget what are globs and open clusters, age thing i know. Anyway, I will report back as to accuracy later however there are dozens of apps out there to use.

Ok pictures of my smart phone adaptor to fit onto my refractor that efffectively turn the whole scope into a push to type arrangement. I think I am really going to enjoy this new toy.
It a basic argos car phone holder (£8). I removed the spring and lever part to the suction pad and cut the plastic stem out of the suction pad. I then drilled a hole through the top where the suction pad was held and pass a bolt through the mount handle slot (think its designed use is for mounting guide scopes) back though the hole made in the suction pad, through top drilled hole and secured with a wingnut. Wingnut means very easy to remove, fully adjustable taking but seconds to do and the suction pad rubber that can be seen on pictures means this does not move one bit. Very pleased with this and cant wait to try it out.
post-26735-0-93939500-1415023898_thumb.j
post-26735-0-68646700-1415023901_thumb.j
post-26735-0-53358700-1415023905_thumb.j
In this last picture below you can see the knob at back of phone holder where you can easily make fine adjustments to align the phone app with the scope but it is simplicity itself.
post-26735-0-52677300-1415024067_thumb.j
steve

Nice one Steve

How are you finding the Opticstar 102S?  Does it have all metal construction?

only had limited use shane due to weather and holiday but I really do like it, think I have always had a penchant for fracs to be honest and it gives fantastic wild field views that are deceptively good for such a small scope. Fringing isnt as bad as I was led to believe it would be so yes, like it a lot. construction is mainly matel but top where dew shield is appears to be polycarbonate. All seems very compact and sturdy though.

Not wishing to poo poo the idea but I tried it with my DOB / Android running Skeye ... The metal ota made the sensors unreliable.

Wish you better luck with the iPhone

Same here tried it with iPushto on my iPhone which is why I want to see if it works here.

Not wishing to poo poo the idea but I tried it with my DOB / Android running Skeye ... The metal ota made the sensors unreliable.

Wish you better luck with the iPhone

I shall let you know how i get on. I have read the app user guide and there is no mention of metal causing interference although there is to gps location. Its a little confusing, shall have to wait until i can try it out before drawing any conclusions

• 9 months later...

Hiya cuivenion and Bart, the simple answer is it worked to a certain degree. 

The issues as I see it are the accuracy of smartphone/tablet apps and also the metal in ota's effecting them too.

So if you want to get close to the desired object via a app and then use the old fashoined method thereafter then ok. But it does not match goto/push to accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Archived