Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions for "reasonably priced" guide camera

niknak

Hi Folks.

Just moving into deep sky imaging and I'm after recommendations for a "reasonably" priced guide camera.

Planning to use it on a little orion 9x50 finderscope or maybe a v cheap 60 or 80mm refractor.

Cheers all

Just got a QHY5 for this and (so far) it seems to work with an Orion Mini guide scope. It's PHD that has caused a few issues.

Peter

I was planning on using PHD for guiding as well.

What problems have you been having ??

PHD in general or just with the QHY ??

Hi Folks.

Just moving into deep sky imaging and I'm after recommendations for a "reasonably" priced guide camera.

Planning to use it on a little orion 9x50 finderscope or maybe a v cheap 60 or 80mm refractor.

Cheers all

What do you call "reasonable"?

Like others, I have used a QHY5 on a finderguider and I never really had any problems with it. They are no longer made AFAIK, so the second-hand market is the place to look.  Some peeps use modified webcams. I played around with this, but decided that  good nights are too short to waste trying to get it all to work.

The QHY5 is a very popular guide camera.  Another one worth keeping an eye out for on the secondhand market is a Meade DSI - I've been using one for years and it has done me proud.

What sort of budget do you have?

I use a QHY5L-iiC for guiding on my 9x50 finder scope (and also planetary/lunar imaging) and I find it works fine.

It only works for me with PHD2 though, it didn't work with the first version.

I would also recommend a Mead DSI ii  mono camera. I have had no trouble with mine at all, its very sensitive, and they come up now and again on UKABS.

I bet the mono DSI II version makes a cracking guide camera.  Mine's the colour DSI 1, which tends to be the type that comes up on ebay & UKABS most often.

Archived