Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More 'good' journalism.....

laser_jock99

"Halley’s Comet is set to light up Derbyshire’s night sky."

Being charitable, not so much inaccurate as untimely... although being nitpicky I wasn't aware comets respected county boundaries.

"The comet, which is usually seen once every 75 years, was not due to make an appearance again until 2061."

Due to a scheduling conflict with comet Bailey, Halley will now be returning to inner solar system 47 years earlier than anticipated. We apologise for any inconvenience, have a nice day.

The rest of the article it isn't too bad...

Am i missing something? O.k the headline is certainly misleading but hey find me a headline that isnt. Other than that it the body doesnt in anyway suggest that Halley itself will be making an appearance, only that there will be a meteor shower associated with Halley next week. As for the Derbyshire reference its not like it states that only Derbyshire will be lit up so its not inaccurate either. So is there a body of text ive missed somewhere?

It's no big deal, just an amusingly wonky article. The unintentional suggestion that Derbyshire will be treated to a meteor shower (unlike those unwashed & undeserving oiks in Notts) tickles my fancy. Sometimes 'local interest' can be taken a step too far.

It's a classic case of a journalist writing about something they don't quite get and it sticks out like a sore thumb to those that do. It's an unimportant example and ultimately Derbyshire residents have been informed of something that might interest them, so it's not a negative piece. However, it's when those same journalistic standards get applied to something important - like MMR - that it becomes a problem. Writing about science is tough but large swathes of the press either don't understand or don't care about that.

It's no big deal, just an amusingly wonky article. The unintentional suggestion that Derbyshire will be treated to a meteor shower (unlike those unwashed & undeserving oiks in Notts) tickles my fancy. Sometimes 'local interest' can be taken a step too far.

It's a classic case of a journalist writing about something they don't quite get and it sticks out like a sore thumb to those that do. It's an unimportant example and ultimately Derbyshire residents have been informed of something that might interest them, so it's not a negative piece. However, it's when those same journalistic standards get applied to something important - like MMR - that it becomes a problem. Writing about science is tough but large swathes of the press either don't understand or don't care about that.

Well said :icon_salut:

I'm sorry, but as a long time Derbyshire resident I can assure you that it has an excellent astronomical sky. I even saw the planets Saturn and Jupiter from there. Oh yes!  It would be absurd to suggest that these planets were visible from north Notts. It is just possible that certain parts of Staffordshire might have glimpsed them but, clearly, that is only because of irregularities in the border. Sheffield? Don't be absurd.

Mrs Trellis.

I'm a great believer in reading sympathetically but science is necessarily pedantic I'm afraid.

Bob - "Pass me the salt."

Chemist - "Which one?"

So when a newspaper says "uk bathed in sunshine" and omits the fact that the rest of europe is also bathed in sunshine why am I not seeing similar posts hear? The fact remains, it will be seen from derbyshire which is who the author is talking to. 

also, if said chemist is sat at the dinner table when asked, I'd call him a pedant too

of course I can, can you not see it's unnessecarily pedantic critisizing the derbyshire journo for talking to derbyshire residence about whats happening in derbyshire?

not everyone will be looking from a scientific veiwpoint. some will be just looking at the pretty lights :)

Of course it's unnecessary - this is a forum. ;) Is it also necessary for you to point out that our posts about it are unnecessary, and so on? It's just a difference in attitude. Context is important. If I say something factual I hope that people look at it critically - any errors I make render my posts unhelpful, pointing them out does everyone a service. If I'm just chit-chatting I don't expect the same level of scrutiny.

Archived