Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS 90mm APO?

Hi all

Any thoughts on this scope (for DSOs):

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1838_TS-ED-90mm-f-5-5-Apo-Refractor-telescope-with-fast-optics---2-5--crayford-focuser.html

It's a bit pricey for me but at F5.5 is fast so no need for a reducer (just a flattener). I don't like the mounting arrangements (reminds me of the ST-80, lol) but maybe not a big problem.

Anybody got one? Alternatives?

Thanks

Louise

No free lunch when it comes to optical speed Louise.. This scope was sold by Telescope house under Revelation brand, I had the
bigger brother 100 f/6 which I sold to Earl, it was a very good scope, however by all accounts the 90 has blue star boat which would be difficult on OSC and DSLR to
process out..

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Refractors-1.html

Skywatcher 150P-DS is hard to beat if you want speed.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

How about the WO Star 71 as discussed in a neighbouring thread?

A bit too expensive for me! I have to keep the cost down - the TS 90mm was at my maximum. The Equinox 80 might be ok even though it's a little slower. I'm not sure about rotating focusers though - they sound a good idea but do they cause any problems when imaging?

Thanks

Louise

Apologies Louise for not reading your sig, how silly of me :)

An equinox 80 would be a great choice, when you are flush with spare cash a reducer to speed things up would work a treat..

Have you considered these essential ES kits? Nice triplet for just over 500 quid? 

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore-Scientific-ED-APO-80mm-f-6-Essential-1.html

Apologies Louise for not reading your sig, how silly of me :)

An equinox 80 would be a great choice, when you are flush with spare cash a reducer to speed things up would work a treat..

Have you considered these essential ES kits? Nice triplet for just over 500 quid? 

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Explore-Scientific-ED-APO-80mm-f-6-Essential-1.html

Hi again

Well I've budgeted for a TS Flattener with large backfocus so I can use a filter wheel + dslr. I can't use a reducer for that reason - hence looking at faster refractors. The Explore Scientific Essential ED80 looks quite good. I wonder how it might compare to an Equinox 80? The ES might be a triplet but that doesn't necessarily make it better. I'm a little sceptical about the 'Essentials' label, sounds like a cheap own-brand product from a supermarket!

Louise

Steve Collingwood who works for Telescope House highly recommends it,  Steve is one of the UK's most  (if not the) respected telescope optical engineers, I know what you mean about the name, I've discovered a nice red at Aldi, the labels atrocious!

Good luck .. ;)

Hi Louise, the TS focuser is identical (apart from the logo) to the one on my Revelation, regards the rotating I find it useful not least because the actual thumbscrew on the focuser is hard to tighten enough by hand to hold a heavy load so I tighten the extra screws to lock the camera etc then use the rotater, which seems to hold better using just the thumbscrew, to align the camera.

Dave

Hi Louise, the TS focuser is identical (apart from the logo) to the one on my Revelation, regards the rotating I find it useful not least because the actual thumbscrew on the focuser is hard to tighten enough by hand to hold a heavy load so I tighten the extra screws to lock the camera etc then use the rotater, which seems to hold better using just the thumbscrew, to align the camera.

Dave

Hiya

Ok. Does the Revelation/TS suffer from the 'blue star bloat' as mentioned up above? How do you find it generally? I'm struggling to make a decision - I don't want to make an expensive mistake! On the other hand I appreciate that one generally gets what one pays for! However, I'm not in the multi-thousand pound league so have to make do and, when all said and done, it's just a hobby.

Thanks

Louise

Have had a bit of blue bloat but have always put it down to camera/filter probs' didn't even hear about it being the scope, nothing that can't be processed out though, as you say you have to buy what you can afford, personally I'd like a nice Borg but am resisting (at the moment) :) 

Dave

Have had a bit of blue bloat but have always put it down to camera/filter probs' didn't even hear about it being the scope, nothing that can't be processed out though, as you say you have to buy what you can afford, personally I'd like a nice Borg but am resisting (at the moment) :)

Dave

Hi I think the blue bloat is a common problem with fast, cheaper refractors - F6 is pretty fast for a 100mm. Even so, I'm actually tempted by the Revelation 100/600mm, especially as I'm used to imaging at 750mm. Still, a lot of money for me and more than I was budgeting for especially when you add in a flattener. They appear to be out of stock at the moment. Anyway, I'm making up a list of possibles. It starts to give one a headache after a while...

Louise

Hi I think the blue bloat is a common problem with fast, cheaper refractors - F6 is pretty fast for a 100mm. Even so, I'm actually tempted by the Revelation 100/600mm, especially as I'm used to imaging at 750mm. Still, a lot of money for me and more than I was budgeting for especially when you add in a flattener. They appear to be out of stock at the moment. Anyway, I'm making up a list of possibles. It starts to give one a headache after a while...

Louise

Hi Louise,

If I were you I 'd hold back a bit with the 100mm/ F6. With this scope you end up with another one of 600mm of FL which is pretty close to the 150PdS with a SW CC fitted. I know that you want portability so you could get it out of the flat but if I were you i'd try and go a bit wider. Shame I had not looked at the Astro Buy and sell for a while an Equinox got sold for £350.00 the other day.

A.G

Hi Louise,

If I were you I 'd hold back a bit with the 100mm/ F6. With this scope you end up with another one of 600mm of FL which is pretty close to the 150PdS with a SW CC fitted. I know that you want portability so you could get it out of the flat but if I were you i'd try and go a bit wider. Shame I had not looked at the Astro Buy and sell for a while an Equinox got sold for £350.00 the other day.

A.G

Hiya

Hmm... Well, I quite like the fov I get with the 150pds though sometimes I actually wish it was narrower! However, the 150pds is ok. I'm not looking to get a different 'second scope', just one I can take outside. I started to think that an 80mm would be a bit short though easy to guide etc. On the other hand a 102/600mm would be similar to the unreduced Evostar ed80 but faster and twice the price - eeks! I'm not confident about buying second hand especially as I can't easily travel to view or pick up. I'd rather pay for new and get the warranty and easy delivery. 

Also, I may not actually get outside very often - Glasgow isn't conducive... But I could still use another scope inside although with a very limited view, even less than I get with the 150pds. I wish I had a house or flat with a garden! I have to make do... I'd also love a FSQ-106 on a Mesu but I'll never have the money for such high-end kit. Even if someone gave them to me (I wish!) the seeing in Glasgow would never do them justice. It probably wouldn't even do a Revelation 102/600 justice...

Anyway, I'm still thinking about it!

Thanks

Louise

Hiya

Hmm... Well, I quite like the fov I get with the 150pds though sometimes I actually wish it was narrower! However, the 150pds is ok. I'm not looking to get a different 'second scope', just one I can take outside. I started to think that an 80mm would be a bit short though easy to guide etc. On the other hand a 102/600mm would be similar to the unreduced Evostar ed80 but faster and twice the price - eeks! I'm not confident about buying second hand especially as I can't easily travel to view or pick up. I'd rather pay for new and get the warranty and easy delivery. 

Also, I may not actually get outside very often - Glasgow isn't conducive... But I could still use another scope inside although with a very limited view, even less than I get with the 150pds. I wish I had a house or flat with a garden! I have to make do... I'd also love a FSQ-106 on a Mesu but I'll never have the money for such high-end kit. Even if someone gave them to me (I wish!) the seeing in Glasgow would never do them justice. It probably wouldn't even do a Revelation 102/600 justice...

Anyway, I'm still thinking about it!

Thanks

Louise

Hi louise,

I understand. As for a flattner the cheap SW FF @ £69.00 seems to work well with my Ascension @ F6,  but you are limited to 55mm of back focus again

A.G

Hi louise,

I understand. As for a flattner the cheap SW FF @ £69.00 seems to work well with my Ascension @ F6,  but you are limited to 55mm of back focus again

A.G

Yeah, I'd have to get the more expensive TS OPtics flattener (non-reducing). Twice the price but would give me 113mm backfocus.

Louise

Archived