Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello From a new starter

bioffman

Hello All

I am new to the world for astronomy. I have just been bought a Telstar 500 x 114 equtorial mounted telescope. Is this any good for viewing the planets? I have a 20mm and a 4mm lense and a 1.5 erecting lense and 3x barlow lense. Please can someone help me with some advise on this set up?

Hi Bioffman and welcome to the forums, I recently brought my dad for his Birthday a similar scope to what you have, except his was the Telstar 900x114, it was a great starter scope for him and we saw lots of stuff, like mars, moon etc... the only troubles he really had were working out how to use the equatorial mount....

Welcome to the forum..

You have a 4.5 inch reflector on what looks like an EQ1 mount..

I have no idea what this scope is like - sorry!!

Someone will be along in a mo to tell you all about it.

Greg

Hi Bioffman. I have a 910 x 114mm Tasco reflector. It is adequate on the planets, good on the moon and on DSOs. You can have years of enjoyment from that scope.

You will have a good time here. It's a great little place to be for an amateur astronomer. :lol:

This may sound a bit dim....but how do you tell the difference between a star and a planet in the sky? (not a joke, i am a bit new to all of this !!!)

Welcome bioffman. The main difference will be, in a telescope, no matter how high the magnification, a star will always be a point and a planet will resolve into a disk.

Archived