Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad versus Rigel quick finder for SW 200 P Dob.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sirius Starwatcher......Hi,    I cant compare with a Rigel, but I know the Telrad was good, but I had an issue with viewing through it. I had to wear my glasses, but I choose not too for the rest of my observations at the telescope or with binoculars. That said the Telrad I owned ended up with a new owner, who liked it very much, as everything was still in good order (It was still new, almost ) However, it has since been chopped slightly. I would recommend the Telrad, and if its too big for your requirements, someone else will no doubt purchase one from you or you could shorten it. Check post #20 here for the results of the chop? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207665-telrad-v-rigel-advice-please/#entry2216473

Thanks for the link Charic found the info very useful

Telrad for me, despite its size.

Lasts forever. I have two, the older one dating from the last century...

Uses proper torch batteries. Watch batteries are an expensive pain. If you leave it switched on for a week it doesn't matter. Watch batteries come in endless varieties, the one you want never being in stock.

The 4 degree circle gives you an excellent sense of scale, big enough to judge its location within an asterism or close to a naked eye star. A dot is just a dot.

Has masses of adjustment so precise alignment isn't necessary.

The Telrad is one of those bits of kit that just works year, in year out. Quite a rarity in astronomy!

Olly

Thanks for the info olly very useful. Looks like I may go down the telrad route

thinking about it I use car number plate pads which work very well. about 25p each from your local independent motor factor.

Got some today - going to replace the cable ties on the SCT. Thanks for the suggestion

I endorse all the opinions on the Telrad. I first learnt about about it on this forum and it's no exaggeration to say that it has transformed my observing. OK, it's a bit clunky in design and big- but it works! It's easily swapped between scopes, the batteries last for ever and, relatively speaking , it's not expensive.

I liked Bill Carlsons youtube Telrad, its the only link I found at the time before I purchased my previous Telrad, But I do prefer AstroAdams link above, seems just a bit more hands on/informative. 

I'm  considering buying another one (always the same once you sell something - seems like something missing?) Stellarium uses the same reticules! Telrad is very good to aid in finding your target, especially if you can't master straight through finder scopes, but that's the problem, I can, so rather than swapping  glasses in the past, I sold the Telrad. I'd still prefer not to wear my glasses, until I'm forced too. My future modification would possibly be a chop as was the result to my previous Telrad, but I would also consider mounting a right-eye lens from my last prescription glasses. Only down side to this is if I'm sharing the telescope with someone. The other person will have a naff view due to  my prescription. Oh well, just wear the glasses, unless I can extend a support forward of the telescope, but If I remember correctly, you need to be fairly close to the Telrad.  Should I buy another Telrad, should  I ? .......we'll see! ( excuse the pun)

I use a tetrad, and I find it fantastic.  

For those who haven;t had the chance to play with one before, I made a little introductory video, as I'm always being asked about them...

http://www.astrosite.co.uk/whats-a-telrad-a-short-introduction/

Hi Adam just managed to get to the vid for the telrad and really impressed with your intro to the bit of kit. Thanks for the help

Garry

My vote goes to the Telrad, not just because I have 2.

A problem that both the Telrad and the quickfinder have is that if there is dew around then it will not be long before you cannot see through them.

The quick finder looks as though it may be short of space for a dew heater connection  whereas the Telrad is very spacious inside.

There are additional brackets available for the Telrad that can raise it 2" and 4" away from  the scope

Andy

Uses proper torch batteries. Watch batteries are an expensive pain. If you leave it switched on for a week it doesn't matter. Watch batteries come in endless varieties, the one you want never being in stock.

I got a variety pack of 'watch' batteries from Pound Land using one for my bike computer, though do not know if France has caught on to this type of retail store.

Almost everything I have ever observed has been located by using a telrad. It is built like a tank, simply works like a dream and yes accidentally leave it switched on, seems to make no difference to its performance. I do not know if it is advised or not, but when the dew gets the better of mine, I simply wipe or dab it with a camera lens micro or soft cloth. For comfort I also have the 4" riser.

The Rigel uses a CR2032 battery, which is a pretty 'normal' watch battery. The RDF on my 130p uses the same type of battery, conveniently. So does my watch, actually, and my cycle computer. I might need to get more of these things.

And yes, I cover mine with a little, clear, ziplock bag over it when it's not in use to try and keep the dew off.

Archived