Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

red light

You could convert a regular white light torch with nail varnish or cellophane.

If going the nail varnish route, if you can remove the clear cover, you can paint the nail varnish on the inside so it doesn't chip off.  Probably need several coats.

Regards, Ed.

I purchased a pellet red light torch from amazon as it was on £19 down from £69 it's very hard I've dropped it many times also comes with a lithium battery and charger check it out I believe it's still discounted.

Danny

For all I have 2 or 3 red light torches I am tempted by another one of those as well.

The one I was looking for was from them and was a small aluminium one powered by an AAA battery. Very nice but £10 each, and just seemed a bit expensive. The one above is £8 and uses AA batteries. Reading the specification it may be a bit Red/Orange

Another option is look on ebay, not sure if Amazon do them but check , for "astronomy torch" or "hunting torch".

There is a 5 mode one, the body is a copy of the Ultrafire - note that the Ultrafire torches are single mode not 5 mode..

The first 3 settings are High, Medium, Low.

High is very bright, Medium is much the same, but Low is low.

You would need the 5 mode ones as the singles are just BRIGHT.

You could convert a regular white light torch with nail varnish or cellophane.

If going the nail varnish route, if you can remove the clear cover, you can paint the nail varnish on the inside so it doesn't chip off.  Probably need several coats.

Regards, Ed.

Red nail varnish one of the most useful items in my tool box great for insulating electronic components etc too.

Alan

I purchased a Pellor red light torch from amazon as it was on £19 down from £69 it's very hard I've dropped it many times also comes with a lithium battery and charger check it out I believe it's still discounted.

Danny

I bagged myself one of those too. Practically bomb proof & very well made. I especially like the fact that you can select a couple or three different brightness settings, which is a nice bonus.

I use a mini maglite and replaced the clear cell with a couple of circles cut from a plastic milk bottle. I prefer green as it happens as i can see better with it than red for some reason and we use mainly semi skimmed so everyone wins!

It is as tough as old boots

While trying to relocate the small one I have I found this:

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/colour-led-torches/silverpoint-firefly-red-led-torch.html

Ithink it is the suppliuer I got my small red light torch from but this is a different model, looks chunkier, and it cost less then the one I got did.

That looks a nice bit of kit

Right, I ordered one of these.

It seems a very nicely made wee list. And it is red.

However, to my mind, it's far too bright. I wanted something that was just bright enough to read a chart by. I know that red light (of suitable frequency) is supposed to not destroy dark adaption, but I find that a bright enough red light will.

So I covered the end in a little white electrician's tape. Now it gives a dim, diffuse light to read by. Perfect.

It is an impressive amount of light from such a small torch.

Right, I ordered one of these.

It seems a very nicely made wee list. And it is red.

However, to my mind, it's far too bright. I wanted something that was just bright enough to read a chart by. I know that red light (of suitable frequency) is supposed to not destroy dark adaption, but I find that a bright enough red light will.

So I covered the end in a little white electrician's tape. Now it gives a dim, diffuse light to read by. Perfect.

It is an impressive amount of light from such a small torch.

If it appears red then it is in effect too bright.

The idea is that only the mono receptors of the eye are activated. So if not black/white/grey then it is too bright.

I think the idea is that red does the least damage, or the eye recovers quickest from exposue to it.

I have a Gerber that is both dim and a deep red and is very good. Trouble is they stopped producing them.

One of the Blackcat ones the LED in that was a deep red, that sort of went to someone else and I still have the more oragne one.

I also have some rechargeable torches for plugging into the car charger thingy.

They are white light and I cannot get the things apart, if I could I would then try and swap the LED for a red one.

They would be pretty good if I could swap the LED over.

Mine arrived today, the silverpoint red torch, heck this is bright, but well made, i wanted a torch that would be good for sorting gear and for walks to the loo at star parties, i think this will serve well

Archived