NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi, newcomer here

23 y/o, being a keen outdoors lover and all things science it was only a matter of time before i made the plunge and bought a telescope. And i didn't pull any punches either, Skywatcher 200p purchased. Here is my experience so far:

• Been using the eyepieces it came with for now (10mm & 25mm), aware that these are average but good enough to get the ball rolling. Using the wonderful 'Turn Left at Orion' in combination with 'Stellarium' i managed to locate Arcturus, which has become my point of reference. From here i can find the semi circle thing, Hercules and Vega.
  • Its a bit tricky to find M13 through the finderscope at times because when i look through it, i lose my sense of geography since i can't see the rectangular centre of hercules, i have to find the brightest star in the area and hope its the southern west one, then i move up (obviously its inverted in the scope) and hopefully i can find the 'blur'. Im getting better at it though. Managed to find M92 also now i know its in the vicinity.
  • When i first saw Saturn (discovered by accident really) i was literally blown away, i felt like calling the village round to see it, it is just like it is depicted in the books. Haven't seen Jupiter yet, or any other planets for that matter (maybe mars, wasn't really sure to be honest), any ideas how i would see Jupiter? Is it an early evening thing? Im still learning what EP's to use for what i want to see.
  • I could not see NGC 6207 to save my life, was trying with the 25mm, again, probably the conditions or EP.
  • Holy hell my back hurt when i had the default finderscope almost vertical, I've just bought a Right angled finderscope now which will hopefully make things 100000x easier. 
  • Using the Orion Shorty Barlow (only done this once, recent purchase) has been frustrating so far, which is probably down to the eyepieces supplied with the scope. everything was kind of blurry and lacking definition, maybe it was the atmosphere. I wanted to test it out on Saturn but i left it too late and it wasn't available in my garden viewing spot. 
  • After seeing them very cheap, I have just now bought the Explore Scientific Maxvision super wide 16mm & 24mm, which at first glance seems a big step up in build quality to the supplied Plossl's, although I'm not sure why they seem to extend out when you twist them? Cant wait to use them.
  • Using Stellariam i have see what the Andromeda Galaxy might look like, and i am like a kid at christmas wanting to get out and see it (thanks cloud!)
  • My mum was annoyed to say the least (£) when i requested the scope for my b'day, but when i sent her some M13 & Saturn images after using it, boy did that change her mind. When she first uses it she's going to buy me all the EP's in the world (haha i wish). 
  • I still feel overwhelmed when looking up and naming stuff, without Arcturus i would be very lost, but i guess over time ill get better. 
  • Collimation will be needed soon I'd imagine after using it a few times, going to try and do it using just a cap at first, will buy a laser/cheshire if i find it frustrating. 
  • Trying my absolute best to keep the EP's and lens as dust-free and clean as possible. I didn't treat the supplied plossl's as well as i could have, but will be treating the Maxvision's like gold dust.
  • Next purchase (maybe xmas) will be a 2" 38mm or more EP for some extra wow-factor.
  • Ive been facing south so far, so haven't looked north and don't really know the key players in that direction yet.

I guess a question i have is will i still be able to see, for example, Saturn, in the winter months? How does the seasons affect the major landmarks, Arcturus etc... I will prefer viewing in these months because i don't have to wait so late for it to get dark. 

A major thank you is in order to the forum for getting me up and running, so yeah, thanks! :)

Hi o-rich and welcome it is an excellent site. Im sure someone far more qualified  than me will be along to answer your questions but i think that jupiter has gone for this year and will return to our skies in the spring. clear skies      glynn

Apologies forget above being a div.  jupiter is not visible at minute (behind sun) but is back again during august in the morning I think.

So how does that work then? Would i have to get up at stupid o clock? surely the sky is too blue to see stuff? Also, i noticed you have the same Maxvision EP as me, how are you finding it?

Hi the planets are quite bright and the sky will be morning twilight so dark enough to see them. On the 18 august at 5 am jupiter will be in conjuction (2 planets next to each other) with venus, sunrise is at 5.45 that day. I like the maxvision i am using it to locate objects at the mo then switching to the higher power orthos. Balance was a bit tricky i found at first but got used to it. I reckon it will come into its own when the darker skies arrive.

Heya and welcome.

Seems like you`ve had a good start with your telescope already. You say you have downloaded stellarium ; remember to set your location and you can play with the time settings,

it will give you the information you need to know regarding best times for observing Jupiter and Saturn.

You say you consider a 38mm eyepiece : I recommend you to ask around in eyepiece section of the forum, I guess most members will recommend an eyepiece in the 28-35mm range (for low power) and not beyond.

Rune

Stellarium is a really useful help to finding your way around.

I would strongly advise taking one of the monthly Magazines even if only for a year as they give monthly observing guides plus plenty of interesting articles.

e.g the August issue of Astronomy Now has a guide to Cygnus and a number of the goodies on show there.

Good luck and keep enjoying yourself.

Saturn in reality will not be around much longer, as the year goes on it simply gets more Westward and lower.

After that and until early next year there will be no plantes to look at, Jupiter makes an appearance early next years but then it is low in the East  and does not get high for a few months.

M31 is good but M31 is also big and you need  low magnification to get a sense of it all. What usually happens is people see the bright core only and then ask Where is M31.

As it gets darker Orion appears and that will suit the 200P as also come Taurus and the Pleiades.

If you are lucky Betelguese will go nova, it expected to sometime in the next million years or so, and may have already.

At this time go locate Lyra, look for M57 (sort of between the 2 bottom stars, and then the double double at the top of Lyra.

While in that area try for Albireo.

For the hell of it point scope at Deneb in Cygnus, close to it are the North American and Pelican Nebula, you may manage to see them.

If you can find M31 then use Cassiopeia to find the double cluster in Perseus.

Welcome to SGL, you've got a good set of equipment to get going.

You are right to consider upgrading the EP's provided. I had the same experience with the 10 & 25mm supplied with an ST120.

Work at lower mags and work up, I use a 2x barlow as it is easy to work out the mags

I am trying to get my EP's to work at 50x 100x and 150x magnification without the barlow.

Though many people shout against them a red dot finder can be quite useful when combined with an optical finder. You can get a T type adapter that can take both that will slide into the finder mount on your OTA. This will allow a visual 'find' followed by an optical one in the cross hairs at a higher magnification.

You have some fine equipment there. Plenty to get you started.

Once we get round to autumn you will start to see the winter constellations such as Orion. Jupiter will be high in the sky this year so should offer some great views.

And don't forget the moon, that's always worth an hour or two :)

I checked my scope today and i still don't think it needs collimating, everything seems to line up, I'm usually very delicate when I'm dissembling it. ill look into a red dot finder :) I'm absolutely fascinated by the professional pictures that are released, like the Cassini ones of Saturn, must takes months to prepare.

Saturn in reality will not be around much longer, as the year goes on it simply gets more Westward and lower.

After that and until early next year there will be no plantes to look at, Jupiter makes an appearance early next years but then it is low in the East  and does not get high for a few months.

Though there are Neptune and Uranus, they have oppositions before then - but there isn't much detail in them. It's exciting in a 'That's Uranus' kind of way. 

Galaxies are hard in these bright summer skies. I've not seen NGC 6207 ever, either!

The Ep tops screw up as an eye-rest; it helps keep your eye at the right distance. I've the Maxvision 28mm, it's a lovely, though 2" barrel eyepiece. Do pay attention to exit pupil when choosing your next, low power eyepiece (and low power is a good idea!)

I always observe looking south - whatever is in the north eventually comes south. At the moment, if you can, I recommend trying to view down into Saggitarius.

post-28380-0-01161100-1398355223_thumb.p

From York, though, it'd be a challenge - it's all pretty low from here!

lots of clear sky this week so I'm going to give the Maxvision's a whirl. Tempted to take the laptop outside for extra guidance. So is it correct to say that viewing is generally easier in the darker-post summer skies?

Yes, absolutely. We've only just started to get 'Astronomical Darkness' down here again, at around 0100 - and you chaps up in York haven't yet. I've read about some folks just giving up for the summer, and I think most people give up on galaxy hunting.

This should give you a representation of darkness in York: http://clearoutside.com/annual_darkness/53.96/-1.09  You want to be looking for faint fuzzies in the black bits - and when there is no moon.

The disadvantage of waiting until later in the year is that all the good stuff towards the core of the galaxy is only remotely possible in the summer time. Catch M8 (Lagoon Nebula) and M17 (Swan, or Omega, Nebula) while you can!

Yes, absolutely. We've only just started to get 'Astronomical Darkness' down here again, at around 0100 - and you chaps up in York haven't yet. I've read about some folks just giving up for the summer, and I think most people give up on galaxy hunting.

This should give you a representation of darkness in York: http://clearoutside.com/annual_darkness/53.96/-1.09  You want to be looking for faint fuzzies in the black bits - and when there is no moon.

The disadvantage of waiting until later in the year is that all the good stuff towards the core of the galaxy is only remotely possible in the summer time. Catch M8 (Lagoon Nebula) and M17 (Swan, or Omega, Nebula) while you can!

annual_darkness.png

Now that is astounding. So due to the suns proximity, its acting like a giant flashlight polluting the view down the scope? I like how astronomy is a seasonal thing, means there are different things to see all year round  :laugh:

last night was frustrating trying to find M10 & M12. I managed to find the Yed stars, but when i went east i got lost. After at least an hour of trying to find them i conceded defeat. When i got back inside i loaded up stellarium and it turns out that i was really close, i just had to go a bit more north. Maybe ill need the laptop after all haha

Archived