moon filter

oldnut

evening all, I have just purchased a few things one being a seben moon filter. tried it out and after a couple of minutes I cant see out of the eye I used.  the moon is still too bright, can anyone recommend a darker filter as I would like to have a good look at the moon without going blind!

What scope are you using.

I am using an 8" skywatcher,  at the same time as the moon filter I also bought a seben 2x barlow  and a seben 8-24 zoom lens. using any combination of lenses made no difference  after a couple of mins all I could see out of my viewing eye was a black blob

Try some more magnification on it. I don't find I need a moon filter at all even with my 12" scope.

the moon was near full and no clouds, it was bright just looking at it with my naked eyes

When you say you cannot see anything but a black blob do you mean when you look away from the eyepiece? If so this is normal and as far as I understand is a result of the pupil in your observing eye contracting and also temporarily losing the use of the more sensitive rods in your eye.

Nothing to worry about.

Polorised moon filters are the way to go.

Put one in the end of your Barlow, and the other in your eyepiece.

With the Barlow static, you simply turn the eyepiece to adjust the brightness.

I bought 3 filters to swap between 2x eyepieces, with the 3rd in the Barlow.

The bidding starts at 50p on Ebay (plus £3 postage).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-High-Quality-1-25-Polarizer-Polarizing-Filter-TELESCOPE-BNC-50P-/201127359626?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item2ed41ff48a#ht_2359wt_1162#

Another vote for a polarizing filter (the dual filter variable polarizing one) - I also find it works well for enhancing contrast on the moon when the sun is still up since the light scatter from the blue sky is polarized.

You need to use two together to adjust the brightness.

One filter will work the same as a normal 30% ND neutral density filter.

Get a variable polarizing set, or a pair of individual filters.

Archived