Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bought my first telescope

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice setup. Just right for lugging into the garden for a quick peek upwards.

As for advice, I'd say plan your observing sessions beforehand and be sure to spend some time sweeping the Milky Way with your lowest power EP. Enjoy.

My starter scope was a telescience refractor. Still have it as it works great despite its 50mm aperture. I do have a 70mm refractor scope now that works great. My advice is start with the low power first and when you find what you want you want to see switch to high power or a mid power. What eps came with your scope?

My starter scope was a telescience refractor. Still have it as it works great despite its 50mm aperture. I do have a 70mm refractor scope now that works great. My advice is start with the low power first and when you find what you want you want to see switch to high power or a mid power. What eps came with your scope?

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x36 & x90
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x180
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 90mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 900mm (f/10)
  • Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • 6x30 Finderscope
  • 1.25"/31.7mm Star Diagonal
  • Multi-Coated Objective Lens
  • EQ2 Equatorial Mount
  • Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray
  • 65% more Light Gathering than 70mm 
  • This is all the stuff i get with it.

I'm guessing FLO was the shop then.  Looks exactly like the list of their website.

Yeah thats where i bought it since it was recommended from this site and i have not observed in a while due to cloudy nights for the past 2 weeks.

Finally bought my first telescope i hope it will turn out to be good its a skywatcher evostar 90 EQ-2 any advice?

A good starter scope and something sexy about a frac. I think the mount is a bit pants and prone to vibration so you might need to add a bit of weight too it, such as a well placed sand bag on the accessory tray.

Other than that, have fun!! :)

Hello, just recently got my first scope, only managed two short sessions so far & still getting used to setting everything up, new moon isn't far away so that should give some good opportunities to try everything out, in the meantime I would recommend buying a copy of "turn right at orion", about £20 from amazon, great read while the nights aren't so good, happy nights, mike b.

My first scope was an Evo 90 eq2, still have it and always will, great scope for the money,

you will learn and see a lot with it, you may need to upgrade the 10mm eyepiece, it's not

that good, but get used to to them both, then you will know what you need, they are good

for lunar observing, and the barlow is ok for that too, the optics in the Evo are spot on, buy

yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Hurricane-Air-Blower-Sensor-Lens-Eyepiece-Cleaner-/280624032079?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item41567ee94f keeps the lens dust free,

use it on the eyepieces too, don't ever wipe the lenses with a cloth, you will get a lot of

enjoyment from your kit, I certainly have, and still do. Good luck with the weather.

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x36 & x90
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x180
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 90mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 900mm (f/10)
  • Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • 6x30 Finderscope
  • 1.25"/31.7mm Star Diagonal
  • Multi-Coated Objective Lens
  • EQ2 Equatorial Mount
  • Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray
  • 65% more Light Gathering than 70mm 
  • This is all the stuff i get with it.
sounds good. I'm saving up for a bigger scope myself. Those two eps are a good start. I'm sure eventually you will add more eps.

I really like my evostar90. I found a big improvement in upgrading the star diagonal to a WO dielectric model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I myself use a microfiber cloth and compressed air. It does work and only when I really need to.

Great scope, very capable and easy on eyepieces... got my brother one for his birthday, managed to spend some time with it... verdict... almost bought one myself!

Clear sky's!

Hello, just recently got my first scope, only managed two short sessions so far & still getting used to setting everything up, new moon isn't far away so that should give some good opportunities to try everything out, in the meantime I would recommend buying a copy of "turn right at orion", about £20 from amazon, great read while the nights aren't so good, happy nights, mike b.

Hi Mike, I think you mean 'Turn Left at Orion', not sure what would happen if you turned right.

Congratulations. I just recently bought a new telescope & I'm having great fun although my new laser collimator seems to suffer from user error as my beautiful aligned optics now make stars look like pear drops. I think   it's back to bob's knobs & sore fingers! I did find a new easier way to collimate my optics. I'll make a new post & share my method.

Archived