Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Antares 90mm f11 or Vixen 80mm f11?

I have an opportunity to buy one or the other of these from the same buyer and at about the same price and would appreciate guidance on which would be the better option as what I know about refractors could be written on the secondary mirror of my 6" f11 dob.

The 80mm Vixen is a newer model Japanese made offering with a 2" R&P focuser

The 90mm Antares has a 2" dual speed Crayford (I think Antares but not sure)

I will be using this mainly with a giro mount opposite my Lunt (when this arrives) as a solar scope for white light initially with a baader film filter but when funds allow, a Lunt Herschel wedge. I will no doubt occasionally use it for double star and solar system objects when I fancy something different.

My heart says Vixen but my head says Antares. What do the frac experts think?

PS I should add that my good mate Jules (Nightfisher) has been providing guidance on this purchase (read egging me on to buy a frac) - thanks to you mate.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote would go for vixen. Why? Well, the name and I suspect the better optics as well as it having a R&P focuser That said, the Antares is no slouch either. For white light you certainly do not require an APO scope.

I am sure that does not really help you much and others will be along with more founded reasons, just my tuppence.

Do they both take 2" EPs?

Ian

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk

They do indeed Ian (both take 2" eyepieces). One thing I didn't mention is that the Antares has a 'Vixen' objective apparently. Not sure if this means it is made by the same factory (and possibly therefore a Vixen reject?). Is that how it works?

They do indeed Ian (both take 2" eyepieces). One thing I didn't mention is that the Antares has a 'Vixen' objective apparently. Not sure if this means it is made by the same factory (and possibly therefore a Vixen reject?). Is that how it works?

They were not vixen rejects, just Vixen sourced, will pick up on this later

Hi Shane.

I knew we would get there in the end ;-). I have a dob now so we're even!

I would possibly go for the Vixen for practical reasons as much as anything else. It is just that little bit shorter and lighter so may be easier to use on the Giro. Balancing is important, and if you need to push the tube forward to get the eyepiece at a good level, the longer tube and heavier objective may be more difficult.

There's not too much in it, but worth considering. You would get a little more resolution with the 90, I do certainly notice the difference between my 76 and 85. I always choose the 85 if at home, the 76 is just a travelling scope these days. As ever, it's a compromise between different factors.

Presumably both have rings with them already?

EDIT One other point. The Lunt wedge is 1.25", and I doubt you will find yourself wanting to use 2" eyepieces in the scope so the 2" focuser isn't totally necessary. You may pick up a cheaper one with 1.25" focuser?

Stu

Cheers guys. Yes both have rings so adjustment to good balance is helped.re the 2" focuser I thought a couple of things. It will put more weight at the back end and along with a 2" diagonal will allow the scope to sit a little higher at the eyepiece. Also i can use my 2"filters if appropriate if i fancy challenging myself to see faint stuff from home with a small aperture.

The seller has kindly agreed to let me try both before i buy at his house so if i can manage to combine a visit with a sunny day we are in business

Sounds like a plan Shane. Good point re the 2" focuser. Wasn't sure if you were getting (or have ) a 2" diagonal but that will certainly put some weight towards the back :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Stu that the shorter Vixen may be more practical when balancing. A larger objective often results in the eyepiece being lower add to that a longer OTA and you could well have the lunt at a comfortable height and be on your knees with the Antares. You also have to consider how it will sit opposite the lunt on the GIRO weight wise. 

cheers guys. I have been warned that a 2" diagonal might sap up the in focus and leave a tricky situation so may stick with the 1.25". I am more likely to use it for just moon, doubles and solar.

I actually think the OTA's will weigh about the same but in a way the Lunt will be a counterweight for the Vixen. I think my heart is on the Vixen to be honest.

either way I think I'll need the extension for my pier.

how do you find it Jonathan?

Really very nice to use - works well on the AZ-4 as long as it is balanced properly, and it is so light that carrying and manoeuvring it is never a problem. Looks great too of course, but that isn't really a big factor ;).

made up my mind, going for the Vixen. It seems to have more positives than the Antares. If I want lots of aperture I have it in other scopes and the Vixen will be a bit smaller and more manageable and closer match to the Lunt on the giro I think.

I do agree that looks don't really matter in many ways but I feel I'd regret not getting the Vixen and that's the decider really. 

Good choice, from a hard decision, i look forward to some pics and the verdict on this rather nice refractor, all this white light talk has got me thinking about knocking up a white light filter for my 60mm f13.5 swift vintage, watch this space as they say  :grin:

Well, I have paid for it and it's on the way soon. In the end I decided just to go for it (all paid for like my Lunt by selling unused stuff on my loft and unused books from my former entomological pursuits and a 130mm Newt). 

I'll report back when I have had a chance to use it. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about and need to now make a solar filter for the period until I can afford a Herschel wedge - probably by Christmas!

Good choice with the Vixen I think. Should give lovely white light solar views, my 60mm Prinz F15 does, and I am hoping that newly acquired 80mm F15 Classic circle T Tasco  will give even better solar detail. Look forward to reading your review when you get it.

Well the Vixen has landed. The packaging was the best I have ever seen I think and it has as a result arrived in tip-top condition. The scope itself is pretty much in as new condition too other than the expect very minor wear on the dovetail and the integral finder shoe bracket. one bonus is the addition of fiving holes for a second finder shoe, something I had until it arrived been mulling over solutions as I will be using a 9x50 RACI and RDF on the scope when used at night (and possibly as counterweights in the day too). Don't you just love a bit of thought going into design?

secretly I have always had to admit that refractors do look more 'sexy' than newts (which I definitely still prefer for most observing) and this scope is extremely well made and attractive. the rings are very robust and again well designed, the 2" R&P is as smooth as silk and the tube extremely well finished. The objective looks like it's from the factory.

Jules (Nightfisher) has very kindly offered to loan me a diagonal (a cheap one of which I gave away a little while ago as 'I'd obviously never use that"  - doh!) but I am not sure if I can wait and may seek out a cheaper option until I can afford a good one. Initially, I'll be adding a baader film filter with a view to getting a Lunt wedge in the future when my astro pot recovers.

I'll report back when I get a chance to look through it and not at it.

I definitely made the right choice on this pair and thanks to all for helping me make it.

This is a great quality diagonal at a good price,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/opticron-dielectric-diagonal.html

I use it and it's recommended !

You' need a 16" pillar extension , unless you enjoy viewing on your knees !

The slippery slope of refractorism has been stepped on ! Next stop; eq mount. Final destination; GOTO !

Nick.

thanks Nick

I have a diagonal en route, just a 1.25" kindly sent to me by another SGLer for postage cost.

totally agree on the pillar extension. even with the HEQ5 tripod on full extension it was only just usable.

last night (as I have no diagonal currently) I tried a quick view 'japanese style' and you need a very flexible nex. this morning I awoke with a condition I well remember (fracback).

I am certainly not turning my back on dobs but it's nice to have a difference experience once in a while.

initial impressions were doubles and moon excellent, Saturn - meh.......neck - achy  LOL

Archived