Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter in the daytime?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it this year's during the day at sgl10 in april. I used a push to system on my 16inch dob with the coordinates from an app and using the daytime moon to act as a one "star" alignment.

The disc clearly showed two bands but no moons as far as I remember, but stopping the aperture down to f12 added some contrast to the bands.

cheers

Where I am Jupiter says hello first followed by Mars about an hour before the sunsets. When the moon is around you can get great views of that around sunset as it's not too bright. Here's a dodgy one through my heritage 130 hand held iPhone:

I have viewed Jupiter a few times in daylight using the CPC. Point at and sync on the Sun (filters on, of course) and then send the goto to Jupiter. The bands are clearly visible, albeit hazy, and when it is not too bright you can see the moons. But it looks better at night.

Thanks for the link!

Luckily (?) for me, my wallet has ropes n crampons & is glued to that slope like a limpet!

me too! but i picked a Coronado PST up pretty cheap in the depths of the miserable winter a couple years back, with some xmas burning a hole in my pocket! before that it was the Baader filter film which is also very pleasant distraction this time of year.

This is slightly off topic but in the same theme. I actually had good skies late yesterday afternoon; Jupiter was not in my line of sight so I tried Saturn - my 5" is not enough. You can pick up Saturn (and Mars) in evening blue skies - just not in the afternoon as I am sure some will already be aware.

I was looking forward to an evening session but clouds came over so I gave up.

Well. Any offerings from the Dob Mob? (push-to & Stellarium & apps etc. don't count)

(N.B.  I might be a luddite; I would be the first to admit that point.  But, I'm really only interested in what I can actually see (admittedly with the help of a couple of mirrors and a lens or six) and locate for myself with maps. I just don't get the point of having a computer do it all for me to then look at a picture on a screen. I don't mean to be antagonistic - I've still got an 'unanswered techno paradox' going on in my happy place, that's all.)

:icon_salut:  :lol:

Straying from the title of Jupiter slightly but in case anyone else is thinking along similar lines... between 8pm and 9pm last night I had another go at 'finding planets in blue skies'. My wife gave me a strange look as I sitting in the garden in a t-shirt with a glass of Pimms - I thought stargazing was a night-thing ? Yes my dear, :kiss: .

I have no sun filter so I am not going to even bother looking for Jupiter and Jupiter gets too low for the evening view from my back garden. I just searched in the SE and WSW skies, knowing from recent experience where Mars and Saturn might be. I found Mars first, then set the goto and moved to Saturn - nothing. In fact Saturn did not appear for another 15 minutes, maybe longer. Mars definitely appears before Saturn because I was looking in the correct general area. It was quite a shock though to be looking at Saturn through the scope and then see it occulted by a 747. :shocked::laugh:

A nice evening and I stayed out until midnight catching up on old friends such as M13 and the Garnet Star. Viewing was not too bad, atmospherics seemed good, just (obviously) not dark enough for best views.

In case it helps; I was searching with the 15mm (100x) and 25mm (60x) lens. I cannot remember which one was in when I found Mars but 100x was the best magnification for quite awhile.

Archived