Hello all Noob from GA

Phantom 6sic6

Hi all I'm Jon

I've recently found a new found enjoyment out of staring at the sky. I have always had a fascination with sky but ended up being a couch potato gamer so when my wife saw my interest in a cheep telescope that was passed around in a Christmas game, dirty Santa she decided to pick me up a Meade NG-60 backpack and all for father's day (2012) so I have just been amazed by what I could see with this little tube. So after using it for the past couple years I started to get the bug to go BIGGER. One day I'm looking thru creg's list and I come across a deal I cant past so now I'm the proud owner of a Celestron Nexstar 6se. I had to send it off to get repaired and collimated so now I'm waiting on that to return and while I wait on that I've been picking up some things and trying to get educated that's why I signed up here. So I picked up the Celestron accessory kit so I have decent eyepieces and filters and got a t mount for my camcorder so I can get some good vid.

So what's some good advice I may need or suggested accessories I may need 

Thanks for reading

Clear sky's

Jon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there, my hubby is that gamer and I'm the astronomer of the family. My first telescope I have had for over ten years now and my hubby got me one for Mother's Day. I started out using a 50mm aperture and went to 70mm aperture and the views are bigger in the new scope. I seldom use my older scope now though I heard my uncle tried using it without luck. Lol I think I may just hang onto it for visiting family to use from out of town. I take good care of my new scope. I own refractors but been tempted to buy a reflector. Which celestron kit did you buy? I'm saving up for a kit from zhumell.

Welcome to the forum.  There's loads of great advice here.  As for the camcorder, I have downloaded RegiStax (link) - a free bit of software that allows you to "stack" the frames from a short video in to a single exposure and hopefully end up with a more detailed image.  Unfortunately, the second hand webcam I picked up to use with it isn't compatible with Windows 8, so I'm looking for a replacement at the moment before I can play with the software!!  I can't remember where I found out about it and no doubt people on this forum will be able to give you loads of advice on alternatives too, but I hope you get on well with your new setup!

Hello there, my hubby is that gamer and I'm the astronomer of the family. My first telescope I have had for over ten years now and my hubby got me one for Mother's Day. I started out using a 50mm aperture and went to 70mm aperture and the views are bigger in the new scope. I seldom use my older scope now though I heard my uncle tried using it without luck. Lol I think I may just hang onto it for visiting family to use from out of town. I take good care of my new scope. I own refractors but been tempted to buy a reflector. Which celestron kit did you buy? I'm saving up for a kit from zhumell.

Hi cutepetgroomer

I picked up the 1.25 eyepiece and accessory kit the one with the 5 eyepieces, 2x barlow and 7 filters cant waite to give them a try

Welcome to the forum.  There's loads of great advice here.  As for the camcorder, I have downloaded RegiStax (link) - a free bit of software that allows you to "stack" the frames from a short video in to a single exposure and hopefully end up with a more detailed image.  Unfortunately, the second hand webcam I picked up to use with it isn't compatible with Windows 8, so I'm looking for a replacement at the moment before I can play with the software!!  I can't remember where I found out about it and no doubt people on this forum will be able to give you loads of advice on alternatives too, but I hope you get on well with your new setup!

Hello Oscar

Thanks for the advice on the stacking program ive been trying to decide witch one to give a try. I have a Sony HDR-XR500 camcorder its gets great HD video so im hoping that it will get me some good video to use and hope I can fig out how to use these programs. 

Has anyone else ever got there telescope repaired by Celestron because omg. First of all they are on the west cost and I'm on the East so I had to ship it carefully than they say it will take up too 30 days to inspect my 6se, up too lol they sent me my estimate almost 30 days to the date. than they say it will take another 30 days to repair it. I'm not bashing Celestron they have some great products but I'm just getting impatient to get it back so I can view!!

Archived